526TID-LTD with BBDS1 network sounder

Jmorrison

Planning an upgrade to timezero pro pc version and am looking at using a BBDS1 network sounder. In addition to a good quality picture I want to be able to use the PBG module and am also interested in the bottom discrimination feature. I have been recommended the 526TID-LTD 1kw transducer but after much research I am confused as to the compatibility and performance that can be expected by this combo. Although it isn't necessary I like the flush mount format of the above transducer but am weary of cutting a nearly 4" hole in the boat if it's not going to satisfy all my wants. Any insight and/or transducer alternatives is appreciated

Boat is a 40ft displacement hull commercial fishing vessel primarily targeting bottom fish

Good morning Jmorrison,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The 526TID-LTD is not on the approved list of transducers for Bottom Discrimination. The transducer is compatible with the BBDS1 for fish finding, but the Bottom Discrimination feature will not work with this transducers.

Please see the link below for a list of Bottom Discrimination transducers available for the BBDS1.

https://www.furunousa.com/-/media/s...s_for_bottom_discrimination_functionality.pdf

Kind Regards,
C-Bass

Jmorrison,
Thank you for your inquiry. While 526TID-LTD/12 or 20 are excellent transducers HOWEVER they are not compatible with the bottom discrimination feature of the BBDS1. I would suggest an alternative; transducer CA50/200-12M. This 1kw bronze thru hull transducer with both high and low frequencies. Just be aware that use of this transducer with the BBDS1 would require an additional p/n MB1100 matching box, and depending on location the manufacture of a transducer fairing block to properly install aboard your vessel.

Thanks for the quick replys. How reliable is bottom discrimination anyway? It seems like a pretty useful idea but I've been getting by without it until now. If the 526TID-LTD will work well with the BBDS1 otherwise maybe I will just stick to it.

Good evening Jmorrison,

Thank you for your follow up. The bottom discrimination feature can be a nice thing to have, we have seen the reliability differ depending on the transducers and depth that the feature is being used. Transducer selection is the key. One of the downside's to the bottom discrimination feature is when it is turned on it puts the sounder into an auto range mode so you can't manually adjust the range to see a second echo. Some folks who have gotten used to looking at bottom tails and second echoes to determine what the bottom hardness don't really use the feature. It really all depends on how you currently use your equipment.

C-Bass

Back