Wood Freeman Autopilot upgrade to Navpilot 300?

flatsixhound

Hi all, I'm a new Furuno forum user with the following question.

I have a new to me, '77 Grand Banks 42' Trawler. It came with, among other items, a Wood Freeman Metal Marine Pilot (Model 15), which goes off course now and again. Please google this to source the manual for reference. To that point, I was leaning towards replacing the WF system with a Furuno Navpilot 300, if compatible of course. If this was to work out, I'd like to replace the older Furuno electronics with a more modern Furuno electronics package as well. If the Navpilot 300 Autopilot isn't compatible with the WF drive unit, then the competition has something, which I'm told works with a "cable steering" system. However, I'd prefer to stick with Furuno, if possible... Thoughts appreciated, thank you!

That is quite the antique.
https://cya.wildapricot.org/Resources/D ... p0-p12.pdf

You can't use the Navpilot 300 that is for sure. The 300 was designed mostly for outboard center console boats.

If installing a pilot on a boat like your, I would most likely install a Navpilot 711C with a linear actuator. It might be possible to drive the old electric motor from the old WF system but it wouldn't be worth it. You would need to set a solenoid based system if it doesn't have one. Then the reaction time would be slower and not very good I would think.

Thx for the feedback Johnny. Yes it certainly is an antique! Surprisingly still working, although no longer 100%. I don't suppose you'd be able to suggest a linear actuator to explore fitment at all for the Navpilot 711C? The current drive unit is chain driven as in the manual, to a sprocket attached to the flybridge helm. Thoughts appreciated. Thx again

Being a 77 footer, if you running a 12v system you might want to look at the PUMPLA17-12 or PUMPLA11-12 on our website and look at the specs to see which you think your rudder falls under.

Back