Which module to buy for existing transducers

rmenendez

Furuno Fan
Just wrote on the Maxsea section about what to do regarding transitioning to Furuno. I have 2 transducers installed today, both Raymarine versions, a B260 and a B265. I asked Airmar about their SB260 module which allows connection of 2 sounders to 1 transducer. In my case, I assume that the B265 is no issue working with Furuno DFF1-UHD but what about the B260 wit the DFF3?. Which is better for my type of fishing? So far, as a chirp user (Raymarine CP450) I think the jury is still out. Which way should I look?

Thank you,

Rolando

Rmenendez,
If you have a non-diplexed B-260 you can use it with the DFF3. What type of fishing and how deep?

Snips

Hi Snips,

I wrote also on the Maxsea thread and Johnny has been advising on direction I could go as Maxsea is an integral part of strategy. I fish for GBT 180-250 meters drift or anchored, trolling for tuna or bottom, mostly deep drop between 160-400 meters. This last is my current problematic area. Maybe if you can read some of today's thread there, rather than repeat here, (www.furunousaforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2172) you can visualize better.

Thanks for your help.

Rolando

I think I would favor using the 265 on the DFF3. This would allow you to set the low frequency at 42Khz which the LF sweet spot of the 265.

Snips

Hi Snips, I was leaning the same direction for the time being, as maybe at the next haulout I would look for 2/3 kW transducer but I just did my annual this past week. Besides, want to see what the B265 will do before spending again with so many priorities. I read all the thread you had with Daybreaker though and he went at the end with the B260, and you did try. Anyway, for me this is very logical first step. I think I am leaning to the FCV1150 so guess its the same with just screen attached. I asked Johnny some questions regarding resolutions as the other screens will be 1280X1024. One further question, how big a difference does the satellite compass (SC30) make in improving results - for me in bottom fishing building my own bathymetry with Maxsea is very important.

Thanks for your help.

Rolando

Rolando,
I think it depends on the size of your vessel if the SC-30 would be a benefit. If your vessel is smaller and pitchs/rolls a lot you may not see much affect. If your vessel is larger and the general movement is more up and down, then the SC-30 would help. Even though the SC-30 outputs ATT (pitch and roll) the sounder can't use that information, only the up and down of the HVE sentence is used.

Snips

Snips,

My boat is a Bertram 46. I think I will wait to see how it responds as is with just the FCV1150 before adding more complexity. My heaving is basically 2/3 feet at most as otherwise fishing becomes less fun. I you are fishing more money is different. Its more evident when drifting as the sea dominates you beam to much more. I am waiting for a quote now for the FCV1150 and also a TZT14. This last part is still up in the air waiting some information from Maxsea. Most of the touchscreen gestures shown in the TZT videos relate to usage of the plotter interphase and little is shown for either radar or sounder. Where is there some good material to review before signing the order for all these items. Somehow, knobs in touch interphases are few and not necessarily easier or faster.

Thanks again,

Rolando

Snips,

One question to clear a doubt. I have been told that the Raymarine B265LH will work with Furuno but I see that when you buy the transducer with the Raymarine part no. it costs $200 more than if for Furuno, and if you buy the generic Airmar you have to but a specific chirp junction box for Raymarine, part no. 33-969-01. Do I need this box or can this box go in reverse? If not possible, need to decide on a transducer right from the start and would need suggestions.

Thanks,

Roland

Rmenedez,
No you don't need the 33-969-01 with the DFF1-UHD. The B-265LH wires directly into the module.

Snips

Snips,

I think I finally decided but would appreciate one last very quick input from you. After much soul searching I will go the FCV1150. The question is transducer as I prefer to go new, don't quite trust being able to re-use the Raymarine. So read lots about going either the R209, which Airmar discontinued, or the chirp R109LH which I see also usable for the FCV1150. Which do you recommend?

Thanks,

Rolando

rmenendez,
The FCV-1150 will work well with the 109LH. The 109LH should be pretty close to the R-209 in performance. The HF side will do well for thermoclines or spotting different layers in the water column. However I am a little concerned with how narrow the for/aft beam width is on the LF side.

Snips

Snips,

I guess then just go with the R209. I was more going by the fact Airmar discontinued the R209 and was replacing them with chirp alternatives.

Thanks for your help.

Have you considered the R-309. The HF side is the same as the R-209 but the LF side has a slightly lower frequency span, plus a slight wider beam pattern. Just a thought.

Snips

Snips,

Somehow, a new idea surface from your input. What would the option of the R509LH vs the R509LH-W. Again, picking up on the R309 but going the chirp transducer option vs the discontinued broadband. Opinion?

Thanks,

Rolando

The 509LHW is only wide on the HF side, which is a an advantage if using it less than 250ft.
I have tested the 509LH against the 309 and their performance is very similar.

Snips

Snips,

Can I install two sounders, DFF1-UHD and DFF3 in a TZT14 deciding upon need which one to use? Also, is there benefit to doing so? Placing order today for the DFF3 but want to have the option to also use a chirp for some circumstances, specially wide beam.

Thanks,

Rolando

Rolando,
Yes you can have both the DFF1-UHD and DFF3 connected into a TZT network.

Snips

Snips,

I know there is a series of frequencies not available (or recommended?) for the DFF3/FCV1150: 53-65, 111-139 and 171-183. I have looked in the DFF3 (no operating instructions whatsoever) and TZT operation manual and I don't find anything relative to this. As I will be using a chirp transducer, are there any manuals that explain how to set up and adjust the frequency. I find the manuals in this area (sounder) lacking - wish the detailed sounder explanations were within the sounder module manual and not the MFD. There is also no video support about sounders or I am missing anything?

One last question not about sounders but relative to the new installation. I am replacing an MFD that supports 4 engine room cameras. Do you have a suggestion on how to do this with a TZT 14?

Thanks,

Rolando

Rolando,
Since you need an MFD to program the DFF3 you will find the set up instructions for any sounder module in the TZT (or 3D) installation manual. None of Airmar's bigger transducers will appear in the sounder set up menus but we have a tap setting matrix for each transducer. The TZT-14 only has two camera inputs so if you have four you will need run the cables into a video switch so you will be able to select what two you would like to display.

Snips

Snips,

Thanks for the quick reply on a SUNDAY!! As mentioned before, initially I plan to use the existing B265 as you suggested and replace with the R309 or R509 during next spring's haul-out. I assume neither transducer shows up in the setup and this will be done using the tap setting. Now the question really was what is considered the transducer frequency, ie. 50/200 kHz or something else. From there, I was to adjust frequency by a percent to arrive at the desired frequency to be used. You mentioned to me that you felt 42 was the best performing low frequency. Elsewhere you also suggested that 130 was the more suitable high frequency, although it also states that this is within the not usable frequencies. This is why I am confused.

Thanks for your help.

Rolando

Back