VX2 & RD33

A

Anonymous

I have a couple of questions.

I haven't been able to spend a lot of time on our new boat yet, but......

Our new boat has two VX2 plotters on the bridge. The previous owner stated that if I wanted charts on both plotters, I would have to put chart cards in each. I took a quick look under the helm and did see a blue ethernet cable from one to the other. Shouldn't we be able to get by with one chart card and read on both plotters?

Second, I need to replace an outdated depthfinder in the cockpit. Can I connect the RD33 and have it use the same depth data from the VX2 without installing another transducer.

Thanks,

Blaine

If both Vx2's are the same mapping type, then the map should be shared automatically over the network. Maybe he doesn't have these two networked? The blue cable you seen might be just one display connecting to the sounder? Maybe one unit is a Vx2 and the other is a NavNet one? You would have to do some more checking.

Second, I need to replace an outdated depthfinder in the cockpit. Can I connect the RD33 and have it use the same depth data from the VX2 without installing another transducer.

If your NavNet has a good source of depth; SURE. But it depends on what the NavNet is using. If it is using an older analog network sounder then, I wouldn't recommend it. Sounders are for finding fish not navigational depth. The newer digital sounders work okay in very shallow waters but not the older analog units. It would be best to have a good NMEA smart depth sensor with the RD33.

Finally got on the boat today. One unit is a 1953C/NT. The other is a GD1700C. So, my same question applies about sharing charts.

Thanks,

Blaine

Johnny,
I too have a Navnet VX2 setup using the SS264 dual transducer setup. I upgradede from a Navnet 1 system which also had a RD30 connected.
Currently the RD30 is not connected as I didnt see the use of it?
A couple of questions on the RD30, how usefull a tool are they when already running Sounders with depth capabilities?
And would there be any benefit in connecting the RD30 to the Navnet system? And how?
The RD30 had its own transducer which was removed when the SS264 twin pair were fitted.

Keep smiling

Leon

36Hatt
The 1953C/NT (C-Map) and the GD1700C (Navionics) will not share charts because they are not the same programming type.

Leon,

A couple of questions on the RD30, how usefull a tool are they when already running Sounders with depth capabilities?

It all depends on your needs. The RD30 can show much more NMEA data than just depth. When it does show depth, it can do so in large numbers that are easy to see. This prevents the need to have data boxes on the plotter covering up mapping data etc....
Many times the RD30 will be used with NMEA depth sensors that are better at navigational depth then a sounder is or a Airmar weather sensor for wind and other weather data. It depends on the user.

And would there be any benefit in connecting the RD30 to the Navnet system? And how?

The benefit would be to display NMEA data the NavNet might offer it so you can see it in larger numbers like stated above. Wiring would be per the interconnection diagram and depending on many factors like which port you plan to wire it to.

The RD30 had its own transducer which was removed when the SS264 twin pair were fitted.

Sounds like a NMEA smart depth sensor that was removed.

Back