upgrading TZTL15F to TZT16X, what is a "remounting panel"

We're very excited about the new XLs! We're planning to upgrade four TZTL15Fs to TZT16Xs, so I'm trying to pin down exactly what is involved in modifying existing flush-mount cutouts for the slightly different dimensions of the TZT16X units.

From a section in the installation instructions on the TZT16X:
1.2.1 Retrofit for TZT16X (local supply)
When upgrading to the TZT16X, prepare the remounting panel.
See the outline drawing of the remounting panel for details.

Just so we know what to expect, what is a "remounting panel"? Is it a process, or is the remounting panel a physical thing? If the latter, is it something included in the box with a new TZT16X or an accessory we need to also buy for each TZT16X? I'm hoping that a remouting panel is a physical thing and already included in the box with each TZT16X which makes exactly this upgrade process we're doing very straightforward, but that's why I wanted to get clarification before launching into this big upgrade. Thanks.

There is no adaptor panel in the box or sold for adapting XL. Any panel modifications would be installer done. I think it is their way of saying you will need to fill in some of the space. That is what they mean about preparing (their wording for making).

Thanks Johnny. That's unfortunate. We'll hold off jumping on this upgrade for now then. We'll either need to go our shop and manufacture adapter brackets with the right aesthetics, or perhaps wait until a third-party offers such a thing for sale. Seems like a missed customer-driven opportunity for Furuno to make such an adaptor readily available when altering the dimensions of the product line, since repeat/upgrade customers seems like they could be a sizeable portion of the market.

With prior systems, they offered adaptor panels and the sales reflected almost no usage. It was one of the first questions I asked when XL was coming out and the answer was that there would be no adaptor panels. I think it is only the left and right side that need a little fill when retrofitting between those two models. With the mountings at the top and bottom from the front, it might not be possible to have a practical adaptor in such a case. Either way, @Johnny Electron is correct and there are no adaptors available.

Thanks Sparky. That's an interesting, if surprising, data point about previous adapters' sales.
It's close, but I think the TZTL15F cutout is also a little taller where it may need some fill to work with the top- and bottom-mounted screws on the new TZT16X. I think the 16X screws may be basically right on the edges of the older cutout. We'll probably eventually look into creating a set of backing adaptor made out of HDPE plastic sheeting cut on the CNC router, which fills the sides and adds a bit on the top/bottom to provide solid screw purchase.

If you do not have a local installer who will do it then you can contact New Wire Marine for a DIY solution. Many installers and oems outsource their panel work to them as well. They will make you something that would be very aesthetically pleasing. When the new screen is smaller they often make you a trim ring that can go around an individual screen or around them both. They will provide you with a CAD/PDF to approve after they get your design down. They have plenty of options for panel thickness color and type. New Wire does a very nice job and have project managers who will be responsive via email and phone to get it done. I also have many other recommendations if you happen to be in New England.

Seeing factory adapter plates from manufacturers out in the wild is very rare.

I appreciate the reference, buefin039. We're in the northwest, not New England, but I'm sure New Wire can work with and ship everywhere in the US.

The panel mods for such a swap aren't difficult but without seeing what youre working with its tough to offer advice. one bit of advice I will give, and you should strictly adhere to, is to use a lubricant suitable for stainless steel when using the brackets supplied in the install hardware bag. They will gall and lock on you destroying the bracket without lubricant.

We have four TZT16X units on order right now.

I'll have a supplier build us some remounting panels based on the remounting schematic in the back of the TZT16X installation manual, but I want to have the new TZT16X units physically in hand first to verify the dimensions, brackets, mounting points, etc before starting that process.

Still TBD what material we'll make it out of, but I'll probably use TAP Plastics here on the west coast as our supplier if we go with any type of plastic, or a laser/waterjet place for other materials.

I will share back with this thread, as well as whoever ends up being our supplier for the remounting panels, that they should save our design because other folks doing a similar upgrade may be interested in having the same part made.

Back