My FA50 to be updated - but what is a HUB ?

Mitchell31

The instructions from Furuno say connection to FA50 must go via a Hub. Questions is, what does this mean. Do I have a hub?

Installation here is Navpilot700, VX2, GPS32 and FA50 - all interconnected.

Want to update FA50 to 2.02, as AIS is not working with older software.

Thanks all, for any tips.

Kind regards from DK-waters...

If you follow the network cable from the FA50 box; does it plug into a hub or direct to the MFD or PC? If it is a hub; you have one. If not, you don't. It can't be programmed without the hub to keep the PC happy as you power cycle the FA50 to start the programming process. If you don't have a hub a cheap (normally $9) TP Link hub from Amazon will normally do the trick. All else, you can send the unit into the service center for a free update (besides shipping costs)

Thank you! I have no hub. Before further action, can you confirm the - only - reason a hub is needed, is that it provides (more) power to the ethernet connection - eg its not for “address handling”.??? Thx again. Third time you have helped me out :-/

Mitchell31":h9uapcae said:
Thank you! I have no hub. Before further action, can you confirm the - only - reason a hub is needed, is that it provides (more) power to the ethernet connection - eg its not for “address handling”.??? Thx again. Third time you have helped me out :-/

No it's for "switching" e.g. to switch the Tx from one side to Rx on the other side.

If you plug in a regular ethernet cable (e.g. straight cable) it'll match the Tx with Tx and won't work :sorry .

Without a switch, you will need a cross cable (see attached).

- Maggy

Attachments

• Crossover-cat5e-1024x512.png
    Crossover-cat5e-1024x512.png
    199.3 KB · Views: 340
Back