ok so now I am even MORE confused... I asked the question online and here is the answer I got (basically I CAN go from 1.06 to current without a step)
(my original question)
I have a VX2 Cmap max (2005 unit)..current program # is 195002401.06.. my question is am I able to upgrade from this version straight to Version 04.03,07 C-Map without the previous upgrades? also how can I get a preloaded SD card from FURUNO, (# SD1-VX2-SOF)?also what does FPGA No. mean (previous software version)
Response Chris Sweet via Email 05/16/2014 05:15 AM
Thank you for contacting Furuno USA, Inc.
No, not with the normal software. I've provided a link below that will allow you to go directly to 4.03. As with any upgrade, it's highly recommended that you backup your waypoints, routes, tracks and settings if they are important to you. This protects them in case something goes wrong with the update. If you want Furuno USA to provide you the software, then you need to order it from an authorized Furuno USA dealer. The FPGA is the boot loader program version. It's not important for your update.
If you want to try the upgrading procedure yourself, here's the link: //////////
You will need a 2GB or smaller SD card to perform the update and backup.
1. Download using the link provided
2. Unzip the download folder
3. Copy the 3 files inside to the SD card
4. Put SD card into chart card slot of NN2 display
5. Turn on the NN2 display
6. If it's working, you'll see a picture of the helm...then another about 40 seconds later...when the display beeps non-stop after the second picture of the helm, the update is complete (total time about 1.5 minutes)
7. Remove the chart card and the unit will immediately shut off
8. Turn it back on and check your version on the self-test page
I hope this information is helpful.
Thanks again for contacting Furuno USA, Inc. We hope we have been able to answer your question. Please feel free to contact us with further questions in the future.