understanding the bottom (rock/mud)

A

Anonymous

Heres a few pics of my Red Snapper spots fish on these spots run about 9 to 14 pounds.I know that these fish are here because of the bottom is flat lime stone rock with holes( nick name for this type bottom is swiss cheeze) My question is the bottom how can i tell if its rock or sand? I found these spots by seeing the fish not the bottom. :furuno

Alm,
I don't see any pictures, try sending them again.

Snips

Do you have a e-mail i can send the pics to i dont know why but i cant get the pics to post on here i have tryed a few times.Thanks Al

Alm,
Please post a Furuno support case, which you can attach photos for Snips to see. Go under the SUPPORT button on our web site (www.FurunoUSA.com) and click on "Ask Furuno a Question". You will need to setup an account but it offers the best way for us to get access to your question(s) and photos (other than this Forum).
Johnny

Alm,
Probably the easiest way I found to help determine bottom hardness is to increase the sounders range to look at the second/third echos. Basically the harder the bottom, the more and stronger echoes you will see. Overall, lower frequenices (50Khz) tend to work better than higher (200Khz) when ground truthing.

Snips

Attachments

• Hard vs. soft 2.jpg
    Hard vs. soft 2.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 2,812
Thanks Snips i will try that next time im offshore on one of my flat lime stone rock honey holes. I was abell to e-mail 2 good pics on the(ask Furuno a qustion) I asked them if they could post them here. :furuno

Snips,
Here are ALM's photos he provided to the support system. (ask Furuno a question)
Johnny

Attachments

• 054_EFB8.jpg
    054_EFB8.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 2,791
  • 107_2FE6.jpg
    107_2FE6.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 2,791
The 2 pics are my Red Snapper honey holes offshore about 22 to 26 miles Out of Pensacola Florida I have caught about 100 red snappers off the spot in 249ft and about 60 off the spot in 150ft and both spots still have a lot of big Snappers on them. I think the bottom is flat lime stone rock with holes in it. My fish finder is a Furuno FCV 1100 with a 1000watt B-260 tranducer with a high speed flaring block. Im very happy with my Furuno fish finder and have never been on another boat that had a better fish finder than mine. :furuno

Alm,
Thanks for the pictures. I see that you are using a 2/1 screen advance rate, while this is OK, it tends to make all targets look blocky. 2/1 means that the display advances twice for very transmission and thus all targets are twice as long as they should be. Try this the next time out, use a screen advance of 1/1 and change the your transmit pulse from STD to SHORT 1. You will find the LF (low frequency) TX pulse in the TX/RX menu. You will need to use a little more gain when using a shorter pulse length but your targets should be better defined.

Snips

Snips Thanks again for all the advice i will try this next time out also. Snips i already catch more fish than me and my friend can eat. I think your creating a monster but theres nothing like finding another new honey hole its kinda like finding gold to me(theres a lot of high fives and dancing on the deck of my boat)Thanks Alm

Back