Help with Sounder settings

scrapper03

Ok, last off shore trip to 150' of water looking for bottom and near bottom fish.

Tzt16F x3
DFF3D
DFF1-UHD
165T-265LH-PM488 - pocket mounted

I am talking about traditional sounder in this scenario. I was looking for bottom structure & ledges, and fish returns fishing for Red Snapper. My issue was that while searching around underway at 5-7 mph for the fish and structure I would not get fish returns while moving, which was quite frustrating. So after a while, I would stop at known spots that I have and deploy the trolling motor. Oddly enough, while sitting relatively still, the fish marks would show up. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I may adjust to be able to better see fish returns while underway?

I also have to play with my 3D history setting, it was totally worthless to me on that trip.

Cross section view was equally worthless.

PBG did well and gave me good detail.

scrapper03,

These DFF3D settings from testing and customer feedback, should give you a good base line to start for use with the Triple Beam Sounder, Cross Section, 3-D History, and Side-scan:

Gain: 50-72
Beam Angle:
Beam Width: 40
Picture Advance: 1/1 or 2/1
Clutter:
Time Variance Gain
(TVG): 5
Time Variance Gain Distance: 300 feet / 50 Fathoms

- Deep Blue

scrapper03,

These DFF3D settings from testing and customer feedback, should give you a good base line to start for use with the Triple Beam Sounder, Cross Section, 3-D History, and Side-scan:

Gain: 50-72
Beam Angle:
Beam Width: 40
Picture Advance: 1/1 or 2/1
Clutter:
Time Variance Gain
(TVG): 5
Time Variance Gain Distance: 300 feet / 50 Fathoms

- Deep Blue
Thanks a lot, I got out on the water and adjusted the settings. As for 3D history, the biggest and most favorable change was by turning smoothing off. I can't even understand why anyone would want smoothing. It just makes it hard to discern structure. I am excited to see how these changes will affect things offshore in 150'.

scapper03,
The DFF3D Smoothing has two settings. One for Distance and the other for Time. Smoothing can be used for distance when there might be a fluctuating seabed to make for a smoother echo presentation. Select: [Echo Smoothing (Distance)] Then: “Low, Medium, High, or “OFF”.

If the echoes are difficult to see or appear “speckled”, then using echo smoothing feature can also be used to suppress this speckling by time. Select: [Echo Smoothing (Time)] Then: Low, Medium, High, or “OFF”

I'd start with OFF and then adjust accordingly...

- Deep Blue

Last edited:
Back