TZtouch2 interfaced to Simrad AP28

Jagsare1

Furuno Fan
I don't know why I am having a hard time with this but cannot figure it out. What cable should I use and who should I buy it from? Both units are NMEA2000. Thanks.

Do you already have an N2K backbone on the boat? Is the AP28 on the backbone?

The TZT2 is a drop to that backbone.

No backbone. Previously, the AP28 was interfaced to a VX2 using a Simrad AT10 I think. Why do I need a backbone if I am only connecting 1 device? To be honest, backbone is such a generic term that I don't know what I would get anyway. The only info I am getting is a never ending choice of adapters.

If you have the AT10 and were using it so the VX2 would drive it on NMEA0183 then you can still do it with the TZT2.
Use the multi cable and connect the white wire as data + and the blue wire as data -.
Go into the NMEA0183 port set up on the MFD and turn on the needed sentences.
I would suggest APB, XTE, and RMB.
If you want various other data displayed on the AP28 head check their manual and see what sentences are required.

The installation manuals for both the TZ and the AP28 show how to set up a backbone. It doesn't need to be more than a few inches long if you only have two devices. The AT10 will probably work, but it only passes heading data at 1hz which will noticably limit AP performance. If you use the N2K bus directly you can get fast heading (10hz) and will get much better AP performance.

I have installed my electronics for years but the last post has me confused again. The real question is physcially, what is a N2K bus/backbone? I searched and everyone mentions it but a product never comes up. It would seem that I just need to remove the plug from the AT10 and plug that directly into the AP28 bus and then wire it to the NMEA2000 connection on the TZT2 unless the TZT2 NMEA connection requires a Furuno connector.

Worked on getting the wiring cleaned up and noticed that I cannot use the AT10. I simply need the Furuno cable that connects to the NMEA 2000 cable on the TZT2. I have to do it this way because I need the connector for the Furuno. I can get it from there, just need to know what cable that is?

Maybe this will help you. You should already have a NMEA 2000 network and backbone if you have an AP28 with the AC12 computer, it's just that it has proprietary Simrad connectors and is called SimNet.

I think all you need is a Simrad SimNet to NMEA 2000 micro-C adapter cable. Plug the SImNet end of the cable into the SimNet tee joiner junction where the AT10 is now connected, then connect the NMEA2000 micro-C connector to the TZT 2.

Just think of the backbone as the main pipe with smaller lines teed off it and with caps at each end. For the NMEA 2000 backbone, the caps at each end are termination resistors. The teed pipes are the drop lines to each device on the network, with one of the tees being the 12V power supply for the network.

In your case, the AC12 autopilot computer, your rate compass, your AP28 control head, and your existing GPS are on drop cables from the backbone. But you can't use your GPS directly because it is NMEA0183. The AT10 is a converter that is taking the NMEA0183 data and turning it into NMEA 2000 format.

Finally, you will need to go into the initial setup menu on the TZT 2 and make sure the NMEA 2000 data PGNs you need for the autopilot are turned on so you get the navigation data on the port.

As a fringe benefit, since NMEA 2000 is two way, you should be able to display the compass heading and rudder position data from the autopilot on the TZT 2.

I really appreciate it. I just re-read the manual and it doesn't say whether the NMEA2000 micro connector on the TZT2 is a male and female. I will have to go to the boat and physically look at it before buying the cable unless you happen to know. Any idea?

Jagsare1":ob0dov4t said:
I really appreciate it. I just re-read the manual and it doesn't say whether the NMEA2000 micro connector on the TZT2 is a male and female. I will have to go to the boat and physically look at it before buying the cable unless you happen to know. Any idea?
Sorry my boat is stored for winter. I actually have a spare one of those Simrad adapter cables but it's on the boat. Worst case you will need a micro tee to adapt it to connector on TZT2.

Don't forget to go back into the installation menu of the AP28 and make sure that the data source setting is correct once you get the NMEA 2000 connection in place. Also when you set the PGN data outputs from the TZT 2 in the initial settings menu to turn on the necessary PGNs for the autopilot, it is a good idea to save the new settings and then turn the unit off and restart it. At least that is my experience.

Back