SCX-20/21 Pole vs Roof Mount

mcqueenas

I am trying to figure out why you would use a pole mount vs a roof mount. My Nordic Tug came with a SCX 20 mounted to a 3' pole which seemed excessive. I'd like to mount the unit directly to the pilot house roof so I don't have to lower it when coming into the boat house. Can someone help me?

Do you have a radar dome/array on the hardtop, perhaps flush mounted? If so, the SCX20 was probably mounted on a pole to get it above the radar signal.

It did indeed have a radar mount that was well 2.5' above the roof. It was seriously ugly so I removed it and lowered the radar to 10" above roof height. I've seen other threads on here that show the radar above the compass so am wondering if it really causes that much interference. I will not be using the radar all the time where as the SCX20 unit I will use everytime I go out... Thanks for your thoughts on this!

A number of posts here about this topic (one of mine included). IIRC, the SCX20 should be mounted a certain distance from the radar if it's under the beam. If too close, then best to get it above the radar beam.

I have a friend with the simrad equivalent (not really) of the SCX20 that is mounted below his radar. It's very unreliable when the radar is spinning.

My scx20 is roof mounted. Approximately 2.5’ behind the drs4dnxt on a 10” aft leaning riser. Seems to be working good.

Back