TZTL12F (TZT2) - adding DFF3D - what transducer setup

Fletch10au

Hi all, just chasing some recommendations. I have a fiberglass trailer boat, 21.5 foot (6.4m) long and have a TZTL12F (TZT2) installed in the dash. At the moment it is only running a 525T-PWD transducer, which generally works fine in 2D and for bottom discrimination etc.

I've established (please correct me if I'm wrong) that if I want to add side-scan, my only real option is via adding a DFF-3D, and am prepared to do so. I generally fish 15m (50ft) through to 100m (330ft) and want the side scan feature of the DFF-3D for identifying targets and then the existing 2D and bottom discrimination for more detailed scans.

My questions are:
1) Can I run my existing 525T-PWD transom mount transducer and a sidescan transducer on the DFF-3D and display both on TZTL12F at same time?
2) Would I be better off replacing my transom mount transducer with a combo (ie 165T-50/200-TM260)?
3) If I can run my two transducers on the DFF-3D, assuming I keep the 525T-PWD, what other transducer would you recommend?

Apologies, there is a bit to ponder there, but figured someone else may have been through this process.

That's going to be a rather costly proposition given the expense of a DFF-3D black box and the special transducer it requires. I don't have direct experience with it on my boat but I wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to replace your TZT 2 with a TZT 3 12L and use the new side scan CHIRP transducer? In the US, a DFF-3D and the transom mount B54 transducer cost the same as a TZT 3 12" unit. Presuming you can sell your current TZT 2 display, it should pay for the relatively cheap side scan transducer. Since you are fishing in shallower water, the CHIRP side scan may work fine for what you want to do and of course you would get the benefit of a faster processor and better sounder of the TZT 3.

Just something else to think about. Most people I know with a DFF-3D have the system on larger boats with two large displays so there is room to have everything running. For example, I have two 16" TZT 3s and while trolling offshore, I will run my regular sounder full screen on one and run the other split screen with the DFF-3D and the charts. In water less than 300-400 feet, I might put the DFF-3D full screen with the moving map and use the othjer split between the charts and the conventional sounder.

That's going to be a rather costly proposition given the expense of a DFF-3D black box and the special transducer it requires. I don't have direct experience with it on my boat but I wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to replace your TZT 2 with a TZT 3 12L and use the new side scan CHIRP transducer? In the US, a DFF-3D and the transom mount B54 transducer cost the same as a TZT 3 12" unit. Presuming you can sell your current TZT 2 display, it should pay for the relatively cheap side scan transducer. Since you are fishing in shallower water, the CHIRP side scan may work fine for what you want to do and of course you would get the benefit of a faster processor and better sounder of the TZT 3.

Just something else to think about. Most people I know with a DFF-3D have the system on larger boats with two large displays so there is room to have everything running. For example, I have two 16" TZT 3s and while trolling offshore, I will run my regular sounder full screen on one and run the other split screen with the DFF-3D and the charts. In water less than 300-400 feet, I might put the DFF-3D full screen with the moving map and use the othjer split between the charts and the conventional sounder.
yep, I hear you. By the time I go this way I could break even going to TZT3, but my sounder is ‘shoe horned’ into the dash and the TZT3 won’t fit without major mods.

I’m pretty much set on TZT2 and DFF3D and transducer, but just wanted some other opinions / experiences.

I have a TZTL 12F at my tower helm on the network with my TZT 3s at the main helm. Actually I have the same problem as you because the TZT3 12" is too wide for my upper helm so I had to use the TZT 2 12". To answer your question, yes you can run the conventional sounder and the DFF-3D side by side except for the moving map 3D history screen for the DFF-3D. That has to be in landscape format. It is possible to use the three panel layout and show it but it will get small on a 12" screen. I don't see the benefit of spending a lot more replacing your existing transducer with the combo assuming you have the space to mount the transom mount B54 you will need for the DFF-3D. If there is any way to do it, the very best option would be to mount a B54 transducer for the DFF-3D in a pocket on the keel forward of the engines. The side scan works best when the transducer is on the center line. It may not be as difficult as it sounds to fabricate a pocket assuming there is access to the bilge in a suitable location forward of the transom.

One cautionary note is that the DFF-3D is somewhat processor-intensive and kind of slow when run on the TZT2.

I have a TZTL 12F at my tower helm on the network with my TZT 3s at the main helm. Actually I have the same problem as you because the TZT3 12" is too wide for my upper helm so I had to use the TZT 2 12". To answer your question, yes you can run the conventional sounder and the DFF-3D side by side except for the moving map 3D history screen for the DFF-3D. That has to be in landscape format. It is possible to use the three panel layout and show it but it will get small on a 12" screen. I don't see the benefit of spending a lot more replacing your existing transducer with the combo assuming you have the space to mount the transom mount B54 you will need for the DFF-3D. If there is any way to do it, the very best option would be to mount a B54 transducer for the DFF-3D in a pocket on the keel forward of the engines. The side scan works best when the transducer is on the center line. It may not be as difficult as it sounds to fabricate a pocket assuming there is access to the bilge in a suitable location forward of the transom.

One cautionary note is that the DFF-3D is somewhat processor-intensive and kind of slow when run on the TZT2.
Wow, thanks for that. That’s exactly the sort of info I was after. Really appreciate your comments.

Back