True Motion Radar Display on TZT 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Did Furuno also drop the capability to view radar in True Motion on the TZT 2? I know that echo trails and echo averaging were not included, however, the TZT 2 operator's manual makes reference to True Motion on page 1-22:

"The radar display is available in head-up and north-up modes and orientation in true and relative motion. The relative motion display shows other ships movement relative to your ship. The true motion display shows your ship and other objects in motion according to their true courses and speeds."

I can't find this on the menus of my TZT 2 displays, just heads up and north up. Where is the control for True and Relative Motion display? I have a PG700 on my NMEA 2000 network and I know the units have heading and GPS data.

I hope this is not another "feature deletion" on the TZT 2 like the echo trails and that I am just too dumb to find the setting!

The TZT2 is just like the TZT in this respect.

The radar has selectable settings under MENU - Radar.
Bearing Scale Mode (Relative, True)
EBL Reference (True, Relative)

Johnny Electron":217bbr1i said:
The TZT2 is just like the TZT in this respect.

The radar has selectable settings under MENU - Radar.
Bearing Scale Mode (Relative, True)
EBL Reference (True, Relative)

So if I set Bearing Scale Mode to "True", the movement of radar targets will be displayed relative to the vessel, i.e., "True Motion"? Maybe I am getting confused because I had a NaveNet 3D display for a long time and that has a specific "mode" menu setting for True Motion along with Course Up, Heads UP, and North Up.

Not sure how it compares to NN3D but it is the same as the TZT.
I have asked Japan to see what info they can provide. If you try the settings, please share your findings. I am curious too. I recommend trying North up with each setting also.

Wow, this is really interesting. The Radar summary in the manuals for both the TZ and TZ2 talk about relative and true motion display modes, but I can't see a way in either product to select True Motion Display Mode. It would appear to ONLY operate in Relative Motion Mode.

Note that Relative Motion Display Mode is different from True Echos and Relative Echos which are only available on the TZ, is different from Relative and True Bearings which is the compass rose around the radar display.

Johnny Electron":3u012utr said:
Not sure how it compares to NN3D but it is the same as the TZT.
I have asked Japan to see what info they can provide. If you try the settings, please share your findings. I am curious too. I recommend trying North up with each setting also.

Too late for me to try it on the water and my boat is stored inside. Not sure the yard would appreciate 12kWs of microwave energy bouncing around inside the metal building.

However, my small boat also has a TZT 2 so I tried putting it in demo mode and then switching the true and relative bearing setting in heads up and north up.but no radar The result looked somewhat like I remember from the True Motion display mode on the NavNet 3D.

The terminology is not all that informative. It does make sense that displaying targets in true bearing mode would mean that you would be seeing their motion based on their actual compass heading, which should be the same as "true motion."

I think one of our Furuno tech moderators should test on their bench setups where I imagine you have access to a live radar.

The names and terminology for all these settings can indeed get confusing. In a nut shell I think three things have been discussed in this thread.

1) Echo trails can show a target's relative motion, or its true motion. The TZ can display either. The TZ2 does not support Echo Trails, so of course this option doesn't exist.

2) Bearings to targets can be shown relative to the bow of the boat, or true. You get this bearing from an EBL or by placing the cursor on a target. There is a menu setting to select which type of bearing you want. This bearing "mode" is also typically reflected in the compass rose that surrounds the radar image. 000 with either be at your bow or north depending on which mode you have selected.

3) How targets and your boat are displayed on the screen differs between Relative Motion Display and True Motion Display. In Relative Motion Display you boat is always at the center of the display (or perhaps at a fixed offset), and land masses move across the screen as you pass by them. In True Motion Display lad masses remain in a fixed position on the display, and your boat moves across the display as it passes them.

If I understand it correctly, the original post was asking about item #3, and from what I can tell, it actually is not supported in EITHER the TZ or the TZ2.

You are correct, it is your item #3 that was the subject of the original question. I find it hard to believe that this was dropped altogether from the original TZ since it was a feature of the earlier generation NavNet 3D and even the VX2 systems before that.

It is easier to think it was dropped from the TZT 2 since it lost some of the other long-standing radar display controls such as echo trails.

History Tracks are another radar feature that was in NN3D and dropped in TZ, so in that sense it doesn't surprise me. But I am surprised to see it clearly called out as a feature in both manuals when it appears not to be. Looks like big Oops to me.

Japan has said that there is no True Motion feature in the TZT2 or the original TZT it was a mistake. It works just as Twistedtree has stated. Japan will edit both manuals to make the provided features of the Relative and True Bearings more clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back