Time for a new transducer?

danderer

Furuno Fan
I'm installing multiple TZT3s (9, 12 and 16). I've connected the 9 to my existing B744V transducer. All was good for a couple months, but I'm now seeing intermittent dropouts on the depth and temp. (Speed was disconnected by the PO.) A couple questions:

1. Do transducers have a finite life? Mine is 15 years old. The boat will be hauled soon for other work so replacing the transducer isn't a big deal.

2. What would a recommended transducer be? I don't fish. I need reliable depths for navigating in coastal waters. I do kind-of like the Bottom Discrimination of the existing transducer. Any reason not to go with an identical replacement?

Thanks.

danderer,

Transducers for fish finders are one of the most useful items on your boat and transducers do wear out over time, especially exposed to severe environment and abuse. The transducer elements can get weak, and the speed/temp sensor can also fail.

You can extend a transducer lifespan but constant cleaning with a soft cloth and mild detergent and keeping the transducer face free of any marine growth. And I do often recommend replacing a transducer after about ten years of use, simply because the abuse a transducer can go through during it’s entire lifespan.

I find that our Bottom Discrimination Transducers are very useful for both Navigation and Anchoring. So if you are looking for a replacement transducer, one of these transducers should be considered as a replacement. :think

- Deep Blue ;)

Back