So....Just to be clear (AIS)

HenrysCreek

Current set-up:
Tzt2
Radar
Transducer (utilizing internal sounder)
Autopilot
GP300b

Just added "new" radar. DRS12AX, which plugs into the network plug. Works great!

Adding FA-50
- Added dedicated Morad AIS antenna (already installed, but not connected)

Questions:
- Assume I can't network the GP300b to the FA-50 and instead need to install the included GPA-17, but please confirm

- Tzt2 Ethernet is currently being used by the radar and I'll need another ethernet port for the FA-50. Add a Netgear GS105 and be done?

- If installation of the GPA-17 is required, recommendations on hardtop placement are requested. 36' Judge. Morad VHF (9') is on the forward starboard side of hardtop, Morad AIS (9') antenna is on port side. GP300b is 6" above the port side hardtop, beside the AIS antenna. DRS12AX is obviously in the center, about 20" above the hardtop.

Will try to load pics, but that's where they're located.

Thanks!

- Assume I can't network the GP300b to the FA-50 and instead need to install the included GPA-17, but please confirm

I think you mean the GP330B antenna. That is correct the FA50 must have a working coax antenna connected or it won't transmit. The GP330B (NMEA2000) or any other source of GPS can't not be used in place of the provided FA50 coax antenna. (typically the GPA017)

- Tzt2 Ethernet is currently being used by the radar and I'll need another ethernet port for the FA-50. Add a Netgear GS105 and be done?
Exactly correct.

HenrysCreek":337vvk4l said:
Thanks for the prompt reply.

AIS transponders must have their own GPS source by regulation so that they will operate independently of the boat's other systems. That also ensures that the precision of the GPS data meets certain standards.

Generally things are set up the other way around -- the AIS serves as a backup source of GPS data to the chartplotters.

Back