Multiple Radar Install - Adding DRS4D-NXT to 1993c

ryndne

Long story short - I just pulled a NavNet 1 from my system and kept a VX2 which is running a 1933c open array. I added a TZT3, which is connected to our 711C via NMEA2000, AIS over NMEA0183, and a Fusion MS-RA770 (NMEA2000). I'm happy with that setup for now and it gives me some redundancy. However, I want the features offered by having radar integrated into the TZT3, so my thought was to add a DRS4D-NXT and connect it to the TZT3. In the future, maybe the VX2 goes away and the 1933C gets replaced or swapped to some type of imaging(?), but that is a topic of another thread down the road.

I'm trying to make sure I understand the multiple-radar clearance requirements so I don't cook anything. Please take a look at the diagram and let me know if this setup is compliant with the dont-cook-your-electronics. Also a picture of a mock-up on the hardtop.

Assumptions to avoid cooking:
1) 20 degrees above and below a horizontal line centered on "Furuno" is a no-go zone.
2) 1m horizontal clearance center-to-center of the radar units.

KxCrsNrl.jpg

GSyG58kl.jpg

Hello Ryndne,

With the information you have provided, to me it looks good if you were to add the DRS4DNXT and follow those drawings. The only thing I might add is that you may and want to do a little bit of sector blanking on the 1933 side, where the dome will be behind the 1933 following the 2nd picture.

I agree with Kicker depending on the mount used to hold the dome, you might need sector blanking for the open array. The analog radars are a bit more tolerant of reflections so you might be okay, you will have to see if you end up with ghost targets off the mounting or not. NMEA 0400 standards require the arrays of both radars to be offset by at least 18" vertically but it appears your plan meets that.

Back