Radar and AIS targets not aligned

ghhhuey

We updated most of the Furuno equipment a year and a half ago. (The radar antenna was not updated. The AP22 autopilot was not replaced) The new equipment includes:

1945 radar display w/ AIS overlay function
TZT3, 12 inch plotter
SCX20 satellite compass
F15001 wind speed and direction sensor
F170 display for wind
FA-50 AIS transponder
GP330B GPS antenna
RD-33 display for depth
BBWX4 SiriusXM receiver and antenna
Balmar Smartgauge
Icom 506 VHF with rear mic
Si-Tex antenna splitter
Two, eight foot Shakespear VHF antennas
Fusion stereo receiver

The installation was done by a Furuno dealer. Ever since installed AIS targets and radar targets do not align together on the radar display; there is about a ten degree difference. Radar target positions are exactly correct. The AIS target position is incorrect. However, AIS targets do display in accurate positions on the TZT3,12 (as designed, radar images do not appear on the TZT3,12) Numeric headings shown on the radar, TZT3, and autopilot all agree. Will attach photo of radar display showing problem. The installer does not know how to resolve this problem. Any thoughts would be most welcome!

George
N35-06

Attachments

• IMG_5347.JPG
    IMG_5347.JPG
    957.6 KB · Views: 635
Have you updated the FA50 software lately? There was a GPS rollover event and FA50 should have been updated. If it wasn't, that is most likely the issue because it is using the wrong Mar VAR for calculation of heading due to the date of the AIS being 20 years off.

Thank you, Johnny. No, I have not updated the FA50 yet. However, I first noticed the problem 1.5 years ago, and have had it consistently since then. Given that, do you think the lack of the software update could be the problem?

Not if you have the problem for that long but the FA50 rollover has just added to the problem. I would start there. Next I would take a look that all your heading is setup to MAG and see if everything matches. It sounds like the typical difference between True/MAG.

i got a problem with my Furuno radar that AIS and radar target echo is not alinged. how can i get rid off from this problem ? attached photo for ref

Thread hijacking of old threads is discouraged and many times leads to your post being overlooked. What radar model are you asking about? No photo was in the post.

Back