Side scan sonor

ssmyth1515

I have a TZTouch 3 with a FURUNO-DI-FFAMP TruEcho CHIRP ff amplifier and a FURUNO 165T-PM111LM Transducer. I was told by Furuno that this transducer Would give me side scan. My Icon is purple not blue and I can see the bottom somewhat but I cannot see out to the sides. I would call it thick cluder. I’ve been on the phone the phone multiple times (The techs are wonderful) but I can’t get it to work. I am using it in manual mode.
Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Scott

There is a side-scan type function to the DFF3D, which is a purple icon. It uses the beam of the transducer, which is 120°. It points straight down, going 60° to port and 60° to starboard. It cannot see directly off to the sides like the "blue icon side-scan".

Do I have to change settings or do I have the wrong equipment. I really appreciate the help. I’ve been going back and forth for 3 years now.

DFF3D produces the purple icons.
In June of 2022 we released software to add the CHIRP Side-Scan to TZT3. Similar to what people tend to think of when the hear "side-scan". This is what produces the blue icons and looks directly out to the sides. Installing a 225T transducer and connecting it to the internal fish finder on your TZT3 will give you the blue icon side-scan.

If the beam is only going out 60% if you are in 100ft of water how far is that going out from the boat? If you use the DFF3D does that go out further? Can you please tell me the difference between the 2? I’m talking about the one that has the boat on top with the boxes below it.
Thank again.

The DFF3D has a type of side-scan and is the one that uses a 120° beam pointing straight down so you get 60° to port and 60° to starboard from directly below the vessel. Purple icons are the DFF3D. This is best used for looking down.

To calculate how far to the side you would look you can use a right triangle calculator.
a = the depth you are curious about.
∠β = 60°
c = the distance covered to one side or the other of the vessel at the depth specified in "a".

Side-scan that everyone is familiar with from other brands is the blue icons. This requires one of the three 225T transducer I listed above. It looks sideways, just under the surface of the water. This is best used for looking sideways.

Back