Transducer selection for Deep water

Jye90

Hi all

I am seeking advice on a transducer selection for my TZT3 currently running a Furuno TM265LH 1kW transducer. Now while this setup reads bottom in the depth I fish im after something that will give me more detail.

Boat is a 2400 stabicraft and transducer is transom mounted.

Most of my fishing is done on the continental Shelf in depths of 250m-650m fishing for blue eye Trevalla and swordfish. Would a transducer such as 165T-PM542LHW be one that would give me the capability I am after and then have the capability to use the 3d side in shallower waters .0r would a transducer such as CM599LHG be a better option. I Understand I will require the DI-FFAMP and the DFF3D to run these transducers through the TZT3.

Also am aware that the above transducers are meant to be pocket or cavity mounted and would take some ingenuity to mount/use from transom problems I believe some fabrication could over come.

Any info or advice would be much appreciated and if anyone has a setup using the above transducers would love to hear feedback. or if any other transducers are available.

Jye90,

Yes, it might be a challenge to mount a larger transducer on your 2400 Stabicraft that can provide you with that deep water capability. Here are a few transducer recommendations that can I give you:

R509LH This boat tailed designed 3kW Transducer with the Low Frequency of 28-60kHz Beam width of 23 x 9 - 11 x 5 degrees (depending on the frequency), the High Frequency side is at 130-210kHz with beam width of 8 X 4. This transducer is very popular transducer within the swordfish fishing community and it will provide you with the depth that you are looking for.

CM599LHG This pocket mounted 3kW transducer that has a Low Frequency of 28-60kHz Beam width of 23 x 9 - 11 x 5 degrees (depending on the frequency), and High Frequency of 130-210kHz with beam width of 8 X 4, and is another popular transducer with the swordfish fishery and provides you the depth that you are looking for.

165T-PM542LHW Another pocket mounted 2kW combo transducer that has all three elements contained within a single transducer housing. Specifications for this transducer that you should consider: Low Frequency 30-60kHz beam width 19 x 10 High Frequency of 150-250kHz with a constant 25 degree beam width, but keep in mind that high frequency will only give you a depth around 500 ft, covering some of that same space (but not all...) of the DFF3D's 120 degree beam width does.

Deep Blue - :)

Thanks Deep blue much appreciated

would you happen to know anyone that I could chat too about the performance of any of these transducers in deep water. There just seems to be very little info of deep water performance with this furuno gear and with so many people of doing it I would think there would be some more discussed on the matter.

on another note and this may not be a topic you could help with but my TZT3 freezes anywhere up to half dozen times a day most days that I fish in deep water but only the sounding freezers I still have full function of the unit it just wont load the sounder side if that makes sense. And then there is obviously the other issue of having to reset all the units of measure every time it freezes and I have to reset which is becoming increasingly frustrating. just wondering if anyone else had this issue.

Jye90":1pkn12up said:
Thanks Deep blue much appreciated

would you happen to know anyone that I could chat too about the performance of any of these transducers in deep water.

You can always call Furuno Light Marine Technical Support, tech support deals with deep water transducer questions all the time. :lol:

- Maggy

Back