Side scan offshore update

buckshot

Furuno Super Fan
I think the side scan is going to be very useful offshore trolling. It will take some practice to to recognize what is on the screen and what settings to use but I could see under and around the weedlines. I also forgot to put the usb stick in so I could not take screenshots. This is a quick pic I took with my phone, you can clearly see the weed pad and then the school of mahi near it.
I will try to get better screenshots next trip.
20230420_093559.jpg

Nice seeing fish 80 ft out the starboard side in what under 6 ft of water? That is a nice install you have worked up. Thanks for sharing.

buckshot,

Thanks again for sharing.

Having the TZT3 CHIRP Side-Scan capability can definitely come in handy when you are wanting to look into those potential fishing areas that may be a bit too shallow to maneuver in for the boat, or for docks or piers that might have bait under them...

- Deep Blue

We were fishing in about 80 fathoms, the side scan was not seeing the seafloor. My main reason for trying the side scan was for deep water hoping to see fish off to the side, not bottom structure. Now that I know it works I just need to get it dialed in and hone my skills to recognize what the screen is showing.

This is exactly what I will be using the side scan for... Offshore. Thanks for that.
Should we be able to see 750' out to each side?

I think you will be able to see 1000' but the fish targets will be so small that you will may not see them on the screen. Looking out around 200-300 feet will still allow the fish return to be large enough to pick out. This is definitely going to take some practice and experimenting. Next trip I want to play with more settings and see if I can remove some clutter and emphasize the fish targets. 1000' may give a large enough fish image if it was a school of Yellowfin though.
Now I think I need a 3rd screen just for the side scan!:ROFLMAO:

Bumping this thread as we're very keen to see if anyone has dialled in their FURUNO CHIRP side scan to pick up bait schools, tuna etc in the water column without bottom tracking. Photos would be awesome if you have. 👌

Back