Selecting wave info from XM weather

A

Anonymous

Ive got an MFD12 with the satelite weather option. It displays wind and wave icons on the chart, but I can figure out how to select the wave icon to get the wave predictions. If i put the cursor over a wind feather i can left click and get the local prediction. But I can't select the wave icon, partly because it is displayed in the same location as the wind feathers.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work?

Thanks

Anyone got a solution to this? Otherwise the $59/mo service and the BBWX2 are pretty useless.

When you click on the wind or waves icon it provides both bits of information (see below for example pop-up box info). In fact, anywhere you left-click on the chart will provide current wind/wave information for that spot (if available). The icons are what provide a visual representation of the wind and wave status. To get the predictions, press the rotokey and choose animate; if you don't see an animate "finger", press and hold the rotokey until you see full-rotokey mode enabled across the top of the screen, then choose animate. When you do, you'll see the wind and wave icons move representing the predicted change. There is no "written" forecast option available.

Waves Forecast
The Waves layer depicts wave height, with a dark blue arrow whose length increases with wave height. To find wave information place the cursor on a wave symbol and press the left-click button.

Wind Forecast
Select how to show the wind forecast. There are two types of wind icon styles: Vane feathers and Plain colors. Vane feathers also show you wind speed and direction, but give you more details about the wind speed per the description shown below. The description is shown in the BBWX2 Sirius Satellite Weather Reference Manual for NAVnet 3D on page 5; here's a link to the manual: http://www.furunousa.com/ProductDocumen ... t%203D.pdf

Example pop-up box info:
Wind Force 10.0 kt
Wind Direction 306.5 M
Wave Height +11.0 ft
Wave Direction 141.5 M
Wave Period 0m00s

Place cursor on a wind icon or anywhere on a body of water and hit the left-click button to
show wind and wave information for that area.

Yup I've got that, but the issue is that the wave and wind icons sit on top of each other when displayed. As a result, the left click always report the wind info, and never the wave info. There is no way to get the cursor to pick out the wave info. And if I click around the icons, I always only get wind info. I never get both sets of info in the pop-up.

A full compliment of weather data may take up to an hour to download (at most). During that time, the NAVnet and BBWX2 would need to be on in order to receive that data. There is no need to click specifically on the wave icon to get wave data. As I mentioned previously, you can click anywhere on the chart and get wind/wave data for that cursor location; it doesn't have to be on one of those icons. The icons are a sampling so that you can get a "big picture" visual of what the wind and waves are doing. The animate feature provides the forecasted movement/change info.

If after the hour time you're not receiving wave data in the pop-up box like this:
Wind Force 10.0 kt
Wind Direction 306.5 M
Wave Height +11.0 ft
Wave Direction 141.5 M
Wave Period 0m00s

Then something is wrong with your subscription. You mentioned you pay $59/mo which would be the Voyager package. That package states that it provides forecast wind and waves for 0-48 hours. You can try refreshing your subscription by entering your ESN at http://www.siriusxm.com/refresh or by calling 855-MY-REFRESH (855-697-3373). Also ensure that you are running at least version 2.07 software on your MFD12 by pressing Menu-My NAVnet; the program number after the dash is your version. It should show at least 02.07.

Back