NAVNET 3D MFD12 & SiriusXM (Canada)

Chuck.Simpson

Vessel: The Other Office, 28' Osprey Pilothouse, twin Suzuki DF350A, MFD12 (v2.13), DRS4D radar, GP330 GPS, HUB101, DFF3 sounder, FA50 AIS, PG700 heading sensor, FAP7002 auto pilot processor, 711C auto pilot control unit, RD33, BBWX1 & BBWX4.
Background: I have used Sirius weather (BBWX1) for offshore weather and SST for many years. A couple of years ago it stopped updating anytime I traveled offshore. Upon returning data started updating again. After much frustration I found out SiriusXM Canada changed from a single plan to three plans. Offshore data is only available on the more expensive plan. My current subscription was transferred to the least expensive plan (without notification) which as I explained did not work offshore. I contacted SiriusXM Canada and spoke with a customer rep. She explained the new plans. I asked them to change my subscription to the offshore plan. They could not do this with my current BBWX1 hardware. She explained their system did not recognize the data ESN. I explained I had “Furuno Electronics”. She must be mistaken. She checked with her support team and they explained I would need to upgrade my hardware to the BBWX4 to get the offshore plan. I read the Furuno website and found a compatibility chart that indicates the BBWX4 is not compatible with NN3D MFD12 (v2.13). Further reading it seemed the BBWX3 is compatible. Further reading indicated the BBWX3 and 4 are currently the same, except BBWX4 will have more future capabilities. I called the local authorized Furuno dealer twice, asking how to proceed. They said they would have a technician return my call. That did not happen. They have a poor reputation for service. I took the plunge and purchased the Furuno Canada BBWX4, hoping it would provide me with wind and SST data offshore. Unfortunately, it did not work. The BBWX4 Network LED gives a Red, 4-blink pattern indicating it is not communicating with the MFD.
Questions:
Q1. Is there anyway to get SiriusXM offshore wind and SST with NAVNET 3D MFD12 (v2.13)?
Q2. Does Furuno have a software patch to allow the NAVNET 3D MFD12 (v2.13) to work (with minimal weather data, like the BBWX1) with the BBWX4?
Q3. Reading this forum leads me to think Furuno is no longer able to work with SiriusXM to provide what they had 10 years ago. Has anyone in Canada connected Furuno NAVNET TZtouch3 and BBWX4 with the SiriusXM offshore plan and been able to overlay wind and SST on the marine charts?
Q4. If I decide to stay with Furuno (I have been with Furuno for over 30 years) and upgrade my MFD12 to TZtouch3, is there a compatibility chart showing how many of my Furuno electronics will also need to be upgraded?

Would appreciate any recommendations on how to move forward.

Q1. Is there anyway to get SiriusXM offshore wind and SST with NAVNET 3D MFD12 (v2.13)?

I will check with my Sirius/XM contact about changes to the BBWX1. I am not aware of any. From as long as I can remember the BBWX1 only had one subscription program called "CHARTER". That should give you what you are asking for. Did it previously?

Q2. Does Furuno have a software patch to allow the NAVNET 3D MFD12 (v2.13) to work (with minimal weather data, like the BBWX1) with the BBWX4?
NO, the NN3D is not in any way compatible with the BBWX4.

Q3. Reading this forum leads me to think Furuno is no longer able to work with SiriusXM to provide what they had 10 years ago. Has anyone in Canada connected Furuno NAVNET TZtouch3 and BBWX4 with the SiriusXM offshore plan and been able to overlay wind and SST on the marine charts?

Do you have a TZT3? My TZT3 is working with the BBWX4 and showing all that information and more.

Q4. If I decide to stay with Furuno (I have been with Furuno for over 30 years) and upgrade my MFD12 to TZtouch3, is there a compatibility chart showing how many of my Furuno electronics will also need to be upgraded?

We have many compatibility charts but not one of your complete system. I would first say that you shouldn't have to upgrade your system if working and happy. I am sure we can get with Sirius/XM to find out what to do to get your BBWX1 working for you. Now if wanting to upgrade for the newest bells and whistles most items would be compatible with the newer systems. I would recommend you call tech support to discuss in detail or work with the local dealer. You could use the new BBWX4 (instead of BBWX1) with the TZT3 and everything existing that you listed would work but you would need a few adaptors and a PSU17 power supply to run the radar power. The hub101 might need to be switched for a $30 netgear depending on the age but everything you have except the BBWX1 would move over to a TZT3.

I will let you know what I hear from Sirius/XM.

Thank you for the reply. Any help getting this sorted is very much appreciated.

I will check with my Sirius/XM contact about changes to the BBWX1. I am not aware of any. From as long as I can remember the BBWX1 only had one subscription program called "CHARTER". That should give you what you are asking for. Did it previously?

Yes it previously worked. Remember SiriusXM Canada and SiriusXM USA have different plans and apparently cannot see each other's hardware. Hence I had to purchase my BBWX1 in Canada. I did that 10 years ago. It worked fine until SiriusXM Canada changed their plans.

Do you have a TZT3? My TZT3 is working with the BBWX4 and showing all that information and more.

No I do not have a TZT3.

I will let you know what I hear from Sirius/XM.

Thank you. I did spend some time with SiriusXM Canada customer representative. They were quite certain the only way I would get the "Offshore" (outside 24 miles) was to buy the BBWX4. If you could help steer me to the right people to getting an offshore plan with the BBWX1 it would be much appreciated.

This problem has led me to watching many hours of Furuno videos. So not all bad. :furuno

I talked to my contact at Sirius/XM and they really got things messed up. There shouldn't be any problems getting your older BBWX1 properly subscribed with charter. He asked that you contact him directly so it can be resolved. I will PM you his contact infomation.

For the record i have a BBWX1 on a Navnet 3D and i'm Canadian so i have been using the canadian Sirius Weather subscription and wind offshore.

When we crossed from Hampton to Antigua in November 2021 we got the weather working but not for long after the Gulf Stream we lost signal.

SIRIUS WEATHER (3 Month) 10/25/2021 - 01/25/2022 $104.97
Activation Fee $25.00
State & Local Taxes $16.72

Back