Saving a Subset of Waypoints?

seaveepete

Furuno Super Fan
Hi Folks,

I'd like to export and share waypoints with a friend who also has a TZTouch2 unit but I only want to share waypoints in a certain area. There are dozens of waypoints in this area so too many to manually enter.
Can someone provide some advice on the best way to do this?
I am using the Timezero cloud to backup my waypoints also but I don't see any way to export from a region there.
The Timezero navigation software is expensive but there must be some other options for dumping a subset of waypoints to a USB flash drive in order to share them with another TZTouch2 unit.
Any help is appreiated.

I have been hoping for years that Furuno would add the capability to create "folders" or groups of waypoints selected from the full list of points but to my knowledge this function is still not available.

The only solution I have found is to download all the waypoints to an SD card or USB stick as a GPX file and open them on a laptop in a navigation program such as OpenCPN (good and free). Then you can copy a subset and delete the others without affecting what's stored on your TZT 2 MFDs and create a file to share. OpenCPN cannot read the Furuno format but your TZT2 can export and import in GPX format, which is why I said you have to export in GPX.

I do not believe that there is a way to group waypoints by a geographical area to make them selectively available for export on any of the TZT units. :think

Quista gives some good advice as an alternative though. There are ways to do this once the data is exported. :respect

Hopefully there will be some way in the future to do this from a TZTouch unit. In the meantime we can find solutions that keeps thing afloat.

:sail

Thanks guys,
I was heading in that direction and was planning to use the Garmin HomePort software to cut down the list and export it. I'll take a look at OpenCPN also.
Thanks again.

OpenCPN worked fine... once I was able to start the application. I had to create a lock file that it was complaining about.
Anyway, I was able to sort the waypoints by distance from a point on the map to get the ones I needed to export.
Thanks again for the tip.

Back