Proper wiring for 1971f on a GRP boat with an outboard

nik33134

Hi, I currently run an 1971f on a GRP boat with an outboard. I have the positive wire connected to an on/off switch going to the battery's positive terminal. I have the negative and RF wire connected to a negative bus bar, that in turn is connected to the battery's negative terminal. Is this the proper connection, or am I missing something, like a grounding plate (I don't have one)?

Is the battery grounded? :sorry if not, this wiring could be noisy. IMHO, since the negative wire to the battery could have current running through it (as it's a DC system), it's best to put that RF ground to something that's actually grounded like the engine block, shield drain or Net-C of a NMEA 2000 network so any excess ambient energies have a place to drain. Otherwise leave it alone and unconnected or taped back and only wire it up if you experience too much noise. :? :cool:

Just a tip, :sail

- Maggy

Thanks for the quick reply. As I understand it, the battery is grounded because it's negative terminal is connected to the outboard, which is in direct contact to the sea. I will try to disconnect the RF wire and see if anything changes. I will let you know what happens when I try it.

nik33134":1ubg3ueq said:
Thanks for the quick reply. As I understand it, the battery is grounded because it's negative terminal is connected to the outboard, which is in direct contact to the sea. I will try to disconnect the RF wire and see if anything changes. I will let you know what happens when I try it.

Grounds are confusing, so it's a great question. It's briefly mentioned on P.15 in the installation manual. Here's a great tutorial video by Pacific Yachts expanding on the subject. :cool

Hope that helps, :sail

- Maggy

Back