PG-1000 to mfd12

I just got a pg1000 heading sensor I wired it up hooked the 4 wires into my NMEA data 2 on the mfd12 , how do I tell if it’s working correctly/ talking to the plotter

When you run the setup wizard, under NMEA 0183 port 2 there will be a "Port Monitor" that you can see the raw data coming into data port 2. If you have correct baud rate setup and wired correctly, you should see the heading sentences shown. Normally $HC HDG XXXxxxxx and other heading sentences like HDM. If all is well, you return from the port monitor and ensure you have checkmarked "heading" under the INPUT section of the data 2 port in the setup wizard. Once that is done, check the global data sources to ensure that your heading source is setup to view port 2. When you have and exit the setup wizard you should see the compass at the top right no longer has an X on it. And if you open a data box for heading, you should see the heading in degrees being provide by the compass.

When you run the setup wizard, under NMEA 0183 port 2 there will be a "Port Monitor" that you can see the raw data coming into data port 2. If you have correct baud rate setup and wired correctly, you should see the heading sentences shown. Normally $HC HDG XXXxxxxx and other heading sentences like HDM. If all is well, you return from the port monitor and ensure you have checkmarked "heading" under the INPUT section of the data 2 port in the setup wizard. Once that is done, check the global data sources to ensure that your heading source is setup to view port 2. When you have and exit the setup wizard you should see the compass at the top right no longer has an X on it. And if you open a data box for heading, you should see the heading in degrees being provide by the compass.
Ok great I’ll check that tomorrow! Thanks. Also what auto pilots would interface good with the pg1000 and a mfd12 ?

It isn't so much about the NN3D or the PG1000 as it is about interfacing correctly to your steering system. What type of steering system do you have?

If the boat requires power steering it is bigger than the Navpilot 300 can support. I would recommend the Navpilot 711C once you are ready for a pilot.

The sizing is important or the pilot won't drive the boat well. As long as not solenoid or clutch driven and under 24 cu total, you could use the Navpilot 300 but you would need to get a bit more specific on the cyl size to recommend a pump. Because the Navpilot 300 is fully NMEA 2000, you will need to get a high speed heading converter (like Furuno IF-NMEA2k2) if you plan to use the NMEA 0183 PG1000 compass.

The sizing is important or the pilot won't drive the boat well. As long as not solenoid or clutch driven and under 24 cu total, you could use the Navpilot 300 but you would need to get a bit more specific on the cyl size to recommend a pump. Because the Navpilot 300 is fully NMEA 2000, you will need to get a high speed heading converter (like Furuno IF-NMEA2k2) if you plan to use the NMEA 0183 PG1000 compass.
Ok so I was looking at the navpilot 500 series , my steering is pump driven so I would need a solenoid valve

The Navpilot 500 series hasn't been sold new since about 2007 but if you can find one it should work fine for you.
So I got the navpilot 500 do I hook my pg1000 to the processor unit thru the NMEA port and then hook the processor to the mfd . As of now I have the pg1000 hooked to my mfd threw NMEA 0183 my question is will my nav pilot computer send the heading info to the mfd since I’m disconnecting it

PG1000 would connect up directly to the Navpilot 500 processor on TB8. It is okay to also have the 0183 continue to drive data to the MFD. You would basically have two listeners on the NMEA 0183 output of the PG1000.

PG1000 would connect up directly to the Navpilot 500 processor on TB8. It is okay to also have the 0183 continue to drive data to the MFD. You would basically have two listeners on the NMEA 0183 output of the PG1000.
I so connect the pg1000 to the proccesr and then use the NMEA out on the processor to go to the mfd?

Really the heading quality going to the MFD would be better is you take the one NMEA 0183 output from the PG1000 and split it to both the MFD and the pilot processor. The concern about having the processor through put the data is that it won't be at a good enough interval for features like your ARPA on the radar to work well. It is best to have the MFD have direct access to the faster source data.

Really the heading quality going to the MFD would be better is you take the one NMEA 0183 output from the PG1000 and split it to both the MFD and the pilot processor. The concern about having the processor through put the data is that it won't be at a good enough interval for features like your ARPA on the radar to work well. It is best to have the MFD have direct access to the faster source data.
So just splice the mfd NMEA wires into the tx wires goin to the navpilot from the pg

So just splice the mfd NMEA wires into the tx wires goin to the navpilot from the pg
also I have the mfd hooked to the navpilot on the tb7 do I use the rx wires from there to splice into the pg NMEA ? Am I still gonna need my processor to have a NMEA tx goin to the mfd

The transmit wires of the compass would drive into the input of the pilot TB8 and also into one of the 0183 inputs on the MFD. It is okay that you are sending steering instructions from the MFD into the Pilot processor, as that would expected. I recommend using the interconnection diagrams posted at the back of the manuals of each product (normally page S-1) as a guide. The processor would get heading into the proper heading port on TB8 and it would get steering instructions from the MFD on TB7.

1682964411298.png1682964510218.png

The transmit wires of the compass would drive into the input of the pilot TB8 and also into one of the 0183 inputs on the MFD. It is okay that you are sending steering instructions from the MFD into the Pilot processor, as that would expected. I recommend using the interconnection diagrams posted at the back of the manuals of each product (normally page S-1) as a guide. The processor would get heading into the proper heading port on TB8 and it would get steering instructions from the MFD on TB7.

View attachment 4364View attachment 4365
Ok so the mfd doesnt need to receive any data from the processor it just sends data

Back