PBG File Import/Export

Quitsa

Furuno Super Fan
The documentation doesn't say what happens when a PBG mapping file is shared with another MFD using the file export function. Is the PBG mapping overwritten and replaced with the imported mapping file or is the data in the new file added to what is already stored on the MFD that is receiving the imported file?

Don't want to accidentally delete anything!

Quitsa,

PBG Data is recorded to the Micro SD card in back of the “Master Display” that you have set to record. However, this PBG Data is not saved to any other TZT3 displays within the network, it's only viewable on the other TZT3 MFDs.

In order to have this PBG data saved on other TZT3 MFDs within the network, you must turn on the PBG Recording Feature on each of the other displays, or simply import the recorded PBG data to another displays via the USB Port.

- Deep Blue

Deep Blue":3sd891xe said:
Quitsa,

PBG Data is recorded to the Micro SD card in back of the “Master Display” that you have set to record. However, this PBG Data is not saved to any other TZT3 displays within the network, it's only viewable on the other TZT3 MFDs.

In order to have this PBG data saved on other TZT3 MFDs within the network, you must turn on the PBG Recording Feature on each of the other displays, or simply import the recorded PBG data to another displays via the USB Port.

- Deep Blue

Thanks. That wasn't really my question, however. I have a friend with a TZT3 and DFF-3D who is generating PBG files. There is a new function to export the PBG file to a micro SD card and then use that card to transfer the PBG files to another MFD. My question is if my friend gives me the PBG files from his TZT 3 and I import them to my TZT 3, which will already have the PBG files I generated, what happens? Will the imported file from my friend overwrite my data or will his PBG data be added to what is already saved on my machine?

My question is if my friend gives me the PBG files from his TZT 3 and I import them to my TZT 3, which will already have the PBG files I generated, what happens? Will the imported file from my friend overwrite my data or will his PBG data be added to what is already saved on my machine?

It overwrites. Too many variables between diffrent machines and other boats along with a ton of processing power required to try stitching or merging. At this point you get one file in the machine. Importing PBG will overwrite the existing file. If you say wanted to view your buddies PBG without losing your; I see two options. 1. Back your file up so you can restore it later 2. Put your friends PBG on a diffrent TZT3 that is on your network. Each MFD holds its own PBG file. They are not shared between machines.

Thanks, that is what I suspected might be the case given the description of the file storage on the unit's own card reader. It would indeed be complicated to mesh multiple data sets unless they were broken into geographic tiles with individual files. Since I have two TZT 16s at my helm, I could follow your suggestion and keep my PBG charts on mine and load my friend's on the other.

"Brand A" plotters incorporate a low resolution form of PBG and have a web based sharing mechanism for the contours. My experience with it was that it provided very limited information. It might be better in a place with more recreational boats uploading data, though the underlying data is likely of much lower quality than the DFF-3D will produce.

If sharing/combining DFF3D data is important, TimezeroProfessional+PBG+DFF3d will happily record, import, export data to other like systems. (It does not read the format tzt3 uses)

Hi all,
Sorry if it's a bit of a side question but I feel it's not so far away.
Have you ever find a way to export your pbg data to read them on a computer at home, I feel like any gis (qgis arcgis) software should be able to do that but I can't find any clues about file extensions and compatibility etc...
what is a pbg file exactly made of? is it just a rewrap of some standard file map?
thanks a lot for your answers,
cheers Paul

PGB created in the TZT3 is only for the TZT3 (and TZT2BB) currently. It is a fairly recent feature that was added so time must be given for the programers to expand in this area. One of the first items I hope to see is PBG being backed up to the cloud. Currently, you can't see it on a PC. You can export out as a backup and restore it to your TZT3 and that is about it. I am sure the future will bring more but at this time, no. You can't see it on a PC unless the PBG was collected on the PC (like Nobeltec TZ) which is a totally diffrent type of PBG data and file type.

Thanks for your quick answer Johnny,

You can't see it on a PC unless the PBG was collected on the PC (like Nobeltec TZ)
that's what I was affraid of, pbg map created on maxsea pc and tzt aren't the same... i can't really afford the maxsea option for now.
But I guess you are right in time some doors should open, and cloud is defo a need for instant backup. I wish I could plan my dive explorations from my couch :D

Maybe I could try to ask my geeks friends to look into it. Do you know if I can find a file pbg file map somewhere online??
well thanks lot for your answer!
Paul

Back