TZT2 Waypoints Import Questions

MarMax

Furuno Super Fan
I've been playing around with Google Earth and specifically the bathymetric charts to find potential So Cal rockfish spots. In doing this I've been exporting my waypoints from the TZT2 in GPX format to upload to Google Earth and then converting them with GPSBabel to Mapsource GDB format to view on my home PC (w/BlueChart v7.5).

The boat is out in a detached garage with no WiFi so I like to play around in the house using Mapsource to get a sense of how things will look on the MFD. Once I create a batch of new potential GPS spots I'm looking for the best way to add them back in to the TZT2. I'd like to do this as a batch rather than manually add them one at a time.

The TZT2 can export in TZD, GPX and CSV formats. The TZD and GPX seem to provide a single file that contains everything (wp-route-etc) and the CSV exports separate files.

My first question is if I have the TZT loaded with all my GPS data and then import a TZD or GPX file, will it merge the two together and just add the new data?

And with the CSV import, specifically the waypoints, will they just be merged with the existing waypoints?

My total process will be to create in Mapsource and then convert the GDB to a GPX to be imported with the TZT2. The Mapsource waypoints have Name, Symbol, Position and Altitude data fields which I'm hoping will transfer to the TZT2. I'm guessing that only the Name and Position data will come over but have not tried it yet.

MarMax":2ac6je7k said:
My first question is if I have the TZT loaded with all my GPS data and then import a TZD or GPX file, will it merge the two together and just add the new data?

And with the CSV import, specifically the waypoints, will they just be merged with the existing waypoints?

It will merge with existing points in TZD, GPX, and .CSV format, as long "Restore mode" under the files menu is set to "merge".

It will merge with existing points in TZD, GPX, and .CSV format, as long "Restore mode" under the files menu is set to "merge".

Yes, yet you must be very careful with GPX and CSV because you can end up with duplicates if you try importing something which you already have loaded. If you end up with two points at the same exact location and name, it will drive the machine crazy and most likely lead to a rebooting problem until you remove the duplication. Duplicate waypoints is a no-no. The TZD file will merge and if there are duplicates; it will resolve them automatically preventing problems.

Edited to say that after playing around with this batch loading I'm going to pass and just enter the points manually . . lol

Thank you Johnny and kicker. I would be very careful and not add duplicates and would make sure that "merge" is selected. But now that I see how much time it will take to create a CSV or other file to load up the points I can pass on this option. If I had 100's of points then yes, a batch approach would be worth the time, but not for 20 points.

Never fear, (I didn't tell you this) but a planning solution is coming soon to a theater near you. Ask for more info in 30 days.

Back