NavPilot 500, FAP5001, PG500 and VX-1 Display

musicmanjer

Hi all,

Ok we finally have the Autopilot system installed and have double checked all connections according to schematics and installation manuals, as well as made sure all wires are pinched correctly on the connectors on the 500. The Navpilot 500 is connected to Data 2 of the VX-1, for NMEA 0183 In/Out signals but we cannot seem to get a heading for the Navpilot. The VX-1 shows the GPS info and heading info, but the Nav display just beeps. What could we be missing? Are there settings we need to double check on the VX-1?? I'm new to the autopilot world, have studied the manuals extensively but can't seem to get past this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

...but we cannot seem to get a heading for the Navpilot.

The Vx2 is not the source of heading. If it has heading it can pass it on. In General terms you always want to take data from its source, not regurgitated from another unit, when ever possible. On the older Navpilot 500 series it came with the PG500 compass. That should be wired directly to the pilot on TB8 (PG500 J3 to Pilot TB8) as shown on page S-1 of the interconnection diagram. If working, the PG500 will provide the heading directly to the pilot. The pilot having heading should not be related to your Vx2 connection at all.

Thanks Johnny. Ok, to clarify, I realized that the PG500 provides the heading info and not the VX-1.
So, the PG500 is connected to the NavPilot 500, then the FAP5001 is connected to the NavPilot 500, which is what I thought was correct as I thought that it needs to process the data from the compass to get a heading then send it to the FAP display.
Ive attached a photo of the connections that are according to the diagram in the NavPilot manual. The PG500 is connected to the recommended heading sensor connector, VX-1 connected to the NMEA in/out connector, FAP5001 connected to TB9, RRU to RRU connector.

IMG_6012.jpg
The PG500 appears to be working, but we still cannot get a heading. Is there a sequence of reset/troubleshooting/programming steps we could start from and go through to make sure all the settings are where they should be?

Thanks Johnny. You have always gotten us through trouble with your unparalleled knowledge.

What are the lights doing on the compass?
You do have the terminator on the back of the control head, on the second connector?

Hi Johnny,

Ok so the terminator plug is in on the PG500, and the lights show Auto and Status are solid green.
I had my partner run through the setup on the FAP5001 (another set of eyes), unplug and re-plug in all connectors between units, and he did a diagnostic test and reset 3 times on the PG 500 and set it up for magnetic. The first couple of times we did it, no heading info. We finally got a heading fix on the third try! Not sure what might have happened or what might be going on, but for now its working! :D
I am just a little concerned that it might be an intermittent thing and that we might loose heading at some point at the worst time at sea? We'll just have to keep an eye on it. Not sure what fixed it. Would be nice to know for future reference so we know.
Will the VX-1 be able to show the heading info, especially when using Radar?

Any thoughts?

Thanks again in advance :jump

The first couple of times we did it, no heading info. We finally got a heading fix on the third try! Not sure what might have happened or what might be going on, but for now its working! :D
Great news. The NavNet 1 (no such thing as Vx-1) needs heading into the dedicated heading port. (Data 3 on 10.4") This is normally done with a 6 pin heading cable wire directly to the heading port from the center (NMEA) connection on the compass or the AD-10 6 pin connection on the compass. Once heading is wired into the heading port, you can conduct features like Radar overlay.

Thank you Johnny,

So essentially, for the NavNet1 to have heading/Radar overlay, we would need a 6 pin connection from the compass middle port to the Data 3 port on the NavNet1?
Can't this data be acquired from the NMEA IN/OUT TB7 connector on the Nav 500 processor, as it is already hooked up to the NavNet1 now. OR, the NMEA OUT TB6 connector on the Nav 500 processor?
Do you need to program the NavNet1 to look for the heading data?? How is this done?
Sorry, I just want to understand this better so I don't ask redundant questions.

Can't this data be acquired from the NMEA IN/OUT TB7 connector on the Nav 500 processor, as it is already hooked up to the NavNet1 now. OR, the NMEA OUT TB6 connector on the Nav 500 processor?
The pilot can put out heading on the In/Out port but the NavNet can NOT receive heading on any port other than the dedicated heading port. If you put heading into any of the other NMEA ports; the display will start locking up and having problems. Heading must go into the heading port. If you wire heading correctly to the heading port of the MFD from the IN/OUT port of the pilot it will work well enough. It goes against drinking data from the source and it will not updated as quickly but it works fine for overlay and general plotter use. You will need a 6 pin pigtail minimum to wire heading into the heading data port of the MFD.

Do you need to program the NavNet1 to look for the heading data?? How is this done?
Either AD-10 heading or NMEA heading is automatically detected on the heading port when properly connected. There is no setting.

Ok Got it. So right now, Data 2 has NMEA IN/OUT from the NavPilot 500 TB7, and that can confuse the display as you stated.

What you're saying could be is;
NMEA OUT data from the NavPilot 500 TB6 Connector going into Port 3 (AD-10 or NMEA In) of the NavNet1 10.4"
OR
PG-500 Middle NMEA Port OR AD Port to NavNet1 10.4" Port 3- (Sounds more direct as its not going through NavPilot500)

Could we just switch the current 6 pin cable from Port 2 of the 10.4 display to its' Port 3? It is still connected to TB7 of the NavPilot 500, which is NMEA In/Out (see photo above), or will THAT confuse the display? Would it need to be moved to TB6 of the NavPilot 500 for just NMEA out data specifically??
I hope I'm not confusing you. I don't have a 6 pin to 6 pin connector on hand and would need to order one. Remember i'm on an island with no Furuno support, just you :)
I'm trying to clearly understand this so I can help others with their Furuno equipment, as Im a tech geek by trade and get this stuff once its explained. I wish there were training courses in this I could take as I love this stuff :cool

NMEA OUT data from the NavPilot 500 TB6 Connector going into Port 3 (AD-10 or NMEA In) of the NavNet1 10.4"
Well TB6 or TB7 (output NMEA) can be used to put NMEA into the heading port, so Yes.

OR
PG-500 Middle NMEA Port OR AD Port to NavNet1 10.4" Port 3- (Sounds more direct as its not going through NavPilot500)
Yes, you can take NMEA direct from the compass which is normally preferred. If you have an ARPA board you use AD10 from the compass otherwise NMEA is normally used.

Could we just switch the current 6 pin cable from Port 2 of the 10.4 display to its' Port 3? It is still connected to TB7 of the NavPilot 500, which is NMEA In/Out (see photo above), or will THAT confuse the display? Would it need to be moved to TB6 of the NavPilot 500 for just NMEA out data specifically??
You can not drive steering of the pilot from the heading input port, if that is what you are asking. The heading port is input only. If you plan to steer the pilot from the plotter it needs to stay with port 2.

Remember i'm on an island with no Furuno support, just you :)
I'm trying to clearly understand this so I can help others with their Furuno equipment, as Im a tech geek by trade and get this stuff once its explained. I wish there were training courses in this I could take as I love this stuff :cool
My best friend lives on the island and understand. We do have a dealer there and they most likely have cables on hand. They mostly deal with commercial products but this cable was used for some commercial units also.

Incidentally, we fired up the Autopilot again today and.....no heading :,( :think

I did however find a 6 pin cable in my arsenal, and hooked up the NEMA out from PG500 to the NavNet1 and voila, it has heading info.

So what could be going on with the autopilot/FAP5001? It beeps as it can't find heading. We know were getting heading data as its showing on the NavNet1? Does the vessel need to be in motion for the FAP to find a heading as all these tests are done at the dock?

So what could be going on with the autopilot/FAP5001? It beeps as it can't find heading. We know were getting heading data as its showing on the NavNet1? Does the vessel need to be in motion for the FAP to find a heading as all these tests are done at the dock?

You do not need to be moving for heading (like you do for COG). I don't know what the cause could be. If the wiring isn't being moved; then I expect it isn't that. You might check the plugs for any corrosion just in case. I could be the output driver on the compass port or something with the input port on the processor. Outputs are more subject to issues than inputs. You could always swap the heading data lines (only) between what you have going to the pilot with what you have going to the NavNet. If the problem moves then you will know that it is an output port issue with the older compass.

Hi Johnny, I know this is an old thread but I am having another issue with the system.
Since the NaVNet1 port 1 is designed for a GPS antenna, I am using that as my data source for gps NMEA in as it supplies 12v for the antenna as well (aftermarket GNSS) Now, Port 2 on NavNet has the 6 pin from the NMEA in/out port on the FAP5002, and Port 3 has a data cable from NMEA port on PG-500. Port 4 is the Network in for depth sounder. The GPS data on the screen locks up and does not update. Im guessing theres a data conflict somewhere. Is there a better in/out configuration I should be using with these 4 interfaces?
Thank you and Aloha,

Back