NavNet VX2 - Radar Noise

Apologies upfront for my lack of Radar knowledge. I have a Furuno radar that I almost never use (maybe twice a year) - so am not super familiar with config/settings.

Wondering how much noise is normal for typical radar setup... and if my situation is 'expected' or not...

Here's some background:

I had a dome that wasn't working at all last year (it just showed immediate green-blip around the boat), I posted here https://www.furunousaforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6276 and ended up sending it in to Furuno in Camas to get it bench-tested. They replaced the return microphone and sent it back. It fired up OK and looked better, so I assumed it was good to go.

This summer we had a few very foggy days and I tried to use the Radar - but there was a lot of red / targets all over the place, so I wasn't super confident of its accuracy. Then when I tried it on a clear day - many targets show up where there is nothing blue clear blue waters.

Here is a video I shot from our mooring ball on a calm clear day. You can see many near-targets around the boat where there is nothing on the water. I tried going through the settings on the video - but nothing really had any improvement/impact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNGfDbwnnXo

Normal, or something wrong still? I keep reading Furuno is the best radar around - so maybe I have higher expectations ;)

Looking at the radar, it appears to be working pretty good. I note a couple of things. First off interference rejection is off that normally is setup for LOW to prevent interference from other nearby radars. Next it appears that your radar returns are not lined up to the shoreline properly. This can be because the radar hasn't been properly setup or the heading being used for overlay by the radar isn't correct. I would recommend first off checking what the heading shows in degrees in a data box on the Vx2 and compare that to both your GPS COG and your Richie Steering compass. Is the Vx2 heading showing the same?

You might also want to read the following thread about ensuring your radar is properly setup and aligned with the bow of the boat. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3443

The radar must be aligned with the bow of the boat long before you start doing radar overlay.

Thanks! Boat is on the trailer this week doing maintenance, I'll try the alignment procedure in that link post when I get it back in.

Finally got this solved, and I can't believe the fix - so thought I'd update this thread incase anyone else struggles with such a basic problem. If you look closely in the video I posted, on the far left there is a little tiny [SIM] icon. This means that the radar feed is coming from a generated simulator vs. the live feed. No wonder it didn't map to reality for me!!

I've no idea how it got turned on that way - I can only think that when I disconnected the Radar pod to send it back in and ran without Radar for a few months - maybe it defaulted back to simulator mode...

Huge props to Kenny from Furuno support for helping me see the error of my ways. After the live feed was fixed, I was able to do the heading adjustment procedure above against a local channel marker and now the overlay lines up perfectly.

Doh!

Back