mirror control

rodneymeyers

Furuno Fan
I have a gp1971. I hooked up my mirror control. It worked fine on land. Went to use it yesterday and at&t had an outage so no wifi. It would not work. What happens when you are 20 miles offshore and there is no wifi?

Mirror control is a connection directly between these two devices by wifi. Phone service or lack of isn't a factor for mirror control. If your phone refuses to connect to a wifi device because it doesn't have cell/internet access, you might need to have a software update or a phone setting changed. I would recommend getting with your cell provider if you find it won't let you connect to non-internet connected wi-fi sources.

Maybe my tablet is less capable than many, but I am finding that, on the ocean, your mobile device will need to be able to create a wifi hot spot through cellular, or mirroring won't work. And since my table has no cellular chip, it's a no-go. I have Bluetooth tethering, but that's it. Anyone else can comment on this?

I think you are a bit confused. If the tablet has wifi (not cellular) it should be able to connect to a hotel, home, and your GP1871F. Whenever you connect the two devices running the app, they talk. The fact the tablet happens to also have cellular abilities shouldn't matter at all.

If you are away from terrestrial wifi and cell towers, your mobile device isn't able to create a wifi hot spot that appears to be required to engage the Wireless LAN on the 1871. The Mirror Control app also requires the LAN. I have tested this with my Samsung Galaxy S22 phone by turning off using data on cellular networks and turning off the wifi. Both the Mirror Control app and the 1871 are looking for a wifi network......which doesn't exist.

I guess the real question is, how do you create a wifi network when the 1871 cant see a LAN and the Mirror Control App can't acquire an IP address for one? My very current S22 will not create a hotspot unless it can see cell towers. The only tethering allowed is Bluetooth, USB or Ethernet tethering, which the 1871 can't accept.

Anyone else experiencing this? I'd like to hear from someone who owns an 1871 or 1971. Can you engage Mirror Control without some means of being "on the grid"?

I have had mobile devices, in the past, that have a feature called Wifi Direct, but am unfamiliar with whether my phone has it or whether it would come into play, in this case.

You are not creating a hotspot. Have you tried the steps in the manual? If so which step are you getting hung up on?

1679593320303.png

The manual talks about wireless tethering. I dont see that option on a very new, fairly advanced phone. But the Mirror Control App talks about establishing a hotspot, which I assume is the same thing as wireless tethering. No?

The function is working fine at my house..........on a terrestrial wifi network. Also works fine creating a wifi hotspot, via cellular. Just trying to test it if I am out of cellular or wife range, without going 20 miles offshore.

I have a tablet with no cellular just Wi-Fi and it works. It is a simple wi-fi connection between the two devices.
What is creating the wifi signal between the two devices? A wireless router? If it is your tablet, what connection setting are you using in the connections menu? Is it an Android or Apple OS?

Mirror control is a connection directly between these two devices by wifi. Phone service or lack of isn't a factor for mirror control. If your phone refuses to connect to a wifi device because it doesn't have cell/internet access, you might need to have a software update or a phone setting changed. I would recommend getting with your cell provider if you find it won't let you connect to non-internet connected wi-fi sources.
My iphone
Seems to need a signal or data to connect, offshore, nope

Back