MFD8 with DFF1 question

A

Anonymous

Hi All

I have a MFD8 I am planning to buy a DFF1 but I am not sure which transducer to use, I was looking at either the Furuno 525ST-MSD Bronze thru hull or 525-BHD Bronze thru hull. The type of fishing I do is a combination of in the bay 100' and offshore to the bouys about 600' of water. Can anyone give me some input which transducer would be the best to use

Hello ktyau,

The 525ST-MSD is a standard performance, 600 Watt transducer with speed and temperature. This is a single element transducer with a 40° beam angle at 50kHz and a 10° beam angle at 200kHz.

The 525T-BHD is a higher performance, 1000 Watt transducer with temperature. This is a multi-element transducer with a 15° x 21° beam angle at 50kHz and a 3° x 5° beam angle at 200kHz.

The 525T-BHD is going to provide a better sounder image overall. This is because the narrower beam angles will show more detail. Also, because this transducer is capable of operating at 1000 Watts, the quality of the elements is even higher.

The only thing to keep in mind with the narrower beam transducers, is that you are looking at a much smaller area under the boat. So, in shallow water, you may be looking at an area smaller than the size of your boat, (depending on the depth and size of your boat, of course). The good thing about this, is that when you see a fish on the screen, you know it is directly under you. The down side is that fish may be right off to the side of you, but not be displayed on the screen.

Another benefit to using the 525T-BHD is that you have the option to switch to a 1000 Watt output in the DFF1 if you ever decide to go out to deeper water.

If you will likely never need to use the sounder in water deeper than 600 feet, and the majority of your fishing will be even shallower than that, the wider beam transducer will serve you well.

Finally, the transducers you listed have newer versions now. So, the 525ST-MSD is now the 525STID-MSD. The 525-BHD was actully the 525T-BHD, but is now the 525TID-BHD.

I hope this helps you with your decision.

Hurricane

Hello ktyau,

The 525ST-MSD is a standard performance, 600 Watt transducer with speed and temperature. This is a single element transducer with a 40° beam angle at 50kHz and a 10° beam angle at 200kHz.

The 525T-BHD is a higher performance, 1000 Watt transducer with temperature. This is a multi-element transducer with a 15° x 21° beam angle at 50kHz and a 3° x 5° beam angle at 200kHz.

The 525T-BHD is going to provide a better sounder image overall. This is because the narrower beam angles will show more detail. Also, because this transducer is capable of operating at 1000 Watts, the quality of the elements is even higher.

The only thing to keep in mind with the narrower beam transducers, is that you are looking at a much smaller area under the boat. So, in shallow water, you may be looking at an area smaller than the size of your boat, (depending on the depth and size of your boat, of course). The good thing about this, is that when you see a fish on the screen, you know it is directly under you. The down side is that fish may be right off to the side of you, but not be displayed on the screen.

Another benefit to using the 525T-BHD is that you have the option to switch to a 1000 Watt output in the DFF1 if you ever decide to go out to deeper water.

If you will likely never need to use the sounder in water deeper than 600 feet, and the majority of your fishing will be even shallower than that, the wider beam transducer will serve you well.

Finally, the transducers you listed have newer versions now. So, the 525ST-MSD is now the 525STID-MSD. The 525-BHD was actully the 525T-BHD, but is now the 525TID-BHD.

I hope this helps you with your decision.

Hurricane

Back