MFD8, DRS4D, GP330B not talking after 8 years

Kevin J

Hi.
After 8 long years I have returned to my boat. I reconnected my MFD8, and FI50 displays and what did I find.
I found that the GP330B and Radar aren't being found by the MFD8.
I checked the wiring and found that ALL the plug connections have disintegrated. I have done field replacement of plugs and also run new backbone wiring where required.
Still not able to find Radar and GPS. My reckoning is that the backbone is OK.
The FI50 panel is working from the FI5002 junction. I believe this powers the backbone. So accidently found that if I disconnect the drops to the sensors the MFD8 beeps. I figure it knows there is a disconnection. So is wiring OK ?? - I think so
My system is FI5002 to FI50 Displays, Nav711, MFD8 and a drop to the backbone. Backbone has DST800 and PG70 compass being found by MFD8 and GP330B, AIS, and DRS4D not being found. The GP330B I tested direct to backbone with a single drop and still no connection. The Radar could it be a network problem as that isn't working to my computer and the AIS I haven't looked at yet.
I know this is a lot and hope I have explained correctly but if you can please help I need all I can get.

Needing to get wet

Cheers
Kevin J

DRS is network and has zero to do with the 2000 bus. I think it would be better to focus on one challenge at at time. It is always better to eat a hamburger one bite at a time rather than shove it all in at once. The radar is getting 48vdc into the dome? When running the setup wizard does it see the radar there? (Can you transmit the radar under the wizard RADAR tab?)

Hi Johnny.
Up the mast today. 48v at the dome. There is no "Wizard Radar Tab" Wizard doesn't see it.
Now looking for my network plug checker (somewhere here on Dream Maker).
On a bright note. Being up the mast I checked the GP330 and found the wiring rubbed. I cut away the outer sheath that was touching the bare wire to the plug and up she came on the screen after reboot. Need to get a new wire.
So back to the Radar network. I have a router going to my laptop with AIS, Radar, MFD data showing (lights flashing). Still trying to workout how to setup network on Win10. I know I have Port settings in a manual here "again somewhere". In a mess rebuilding after 8 years.

Thankyou very much for your contact. It is very much appreciated. Any info you can pass on to me gladly accepted.

Cheers
Kevin J

TimeZero support takes care of the TZ PC software but they normally fix the IP address of the PC to 172.031.003.150 and turn off all antivirus software and firewalls. Glad to hear you got the radar showing up on the MFD. That wiring was a good find. If you run a boat network and a NavNet network, have a network card for each system. (Two network cards) At no time do you want to mix a boat network with the NavNet network.

Hi Johnny.
Please reread my post. Radar NOT working.
I have it directly connected to the MDF but the MDF wizard is NOT seeing it. Radar Icon has red cross.
Cheers
Kevin J

If you have 48v at the radar like you say, and nothing in the wizard for the radar, the next step is to bypass the ethernet on the boat and run a bypass cable. Run a long Ethernet cable direct to the MFD that is providing radar power or to the radar power supply, to the radar scanner whichever your design. With bypass cable in place, if still not found in the wizard the radar RTR should be sent in for repair evaluation.

Hi.
Well, here in the remoteness of Borneo, I have had to wait to go to the big smoke to find a network cable tester.
One of the tests I did was to set-up my Gp330 to the radome (radome has NMEA2000 built in) Finding - Gps not found.
So I think maybe the network cable is faulty.
I have now tested the cable. All wires connected and good. I did a shield test and found that on the radome end of the wire the shield is not registering on wires pair 3 & 6. This could be right as 3 & 6 are not a pair. Some flash rewiring by Furuno.
The power is at the radome plug. Can I check inside for power? Is there a fuse inside?
Help Please. What next?
Cheers
Kevin J

The radar doesn't have a fuse. Fusing is done at the power supply or MFD powering the radar with the 48v.
Network for the radar follows standard 4 wire ethernet (pin 1,2,3&6; shield) It only takes one of the main wires broken to be a problem. It doesn't matter if wired as a straight or cross-over cable because the units have auto sensing ports.

Hi people.
Haven't found a solution yet. I also got Furuno Malaysia to come to my boat to troubleshoot at great expense to be told he didn't bring any tooling to test and that I would be better off buying a new Chartplotter and radar. He has made my decision easy for a supplier.

Back