Integrating with Raymarine auto pilot

A

Anonymous

Hello

We have just installed a system with two TZtouch plotters. We are trying to get the TZtouch to intergrate with our existing Raymarine Auto pilot. The auto pilot is the sp 10 course computer with a 6001 control head. The installer used a neam183 to neama2000 converter but it does not appear as though the furuno equipment is seeing the raymarine autopilot.Any ideas on where to go from here?

Thanks
Bob

I tried to find info on the Raymarine SP10 course computer but I didn't have any luck. I found an SPX10 but that shows it supports NMEA 2000, so it makes no sense that your installer would use a converter. Maybe you can find a link to the correct Raymarine documents for us to look at? Normally a plotter only needs to speak to the autopilot; for the autopilot to work correctly. An autopilot (normally) really has nothing to offer the plotter, expect for heading data. Autopilots that work from COG (course over ground from the gps) and that have no heading to offer the plotter, would never be wired up bi-directional (talking back to the plotter). Does your pilot have a heading compass or does your pilot only use COG? Your installer might not have setup the pilot to provide anything to the plotter because it has nothing useful to give. Your TZT would never see the autopilot regardless (remember it is 0183). It will only see the NMEA 2000 interface that is doing the translation. Does the TZT see the interface in your sensor list?

Hello I probably missed stated our problem. We are wanting to be able to select a way point with the TZT Touch and have the autopilot steer to that point. It also does not appear as though we can view wind information via the TZT.

You are correct the current course computer is the SPX !0. From my reading it has a heading compass built in.The installer has included a PG 700 Compass in the NEAMA 2000 network. He also connected the autopilot/wind instruments and ICOM 504 radio to the NEAMA 2000 network thru a NEAMA 2000 to 183 converter

The system also has AIS and Sirius Weather plus a depth module connected via a 8 port hub and ethernet.

I can not tell if TZT interface is in the sensor list we will not be back at the boat till later in the week. The boat is still at the installers dock,but he is not getting anywhere with the autopilot problem. BTW How do I get to the sensor list?

On a NMEA 2000 bus, the TZT would never be your source of wind. It isn't a wind device/sensor. It sounds like your issue falls between your wind device and your autopilot. Normally your NMEA 2000 pilot (or converter) would pull the wind data directly off the NMEA 2000 network, from the source wind device (if it is NMEA 2000). Normally a NMEA 2000 converter will have one 0183 input and one output. In this case your NMEA 0183 output is (working) driving your pilot. What has the input of the converter been connected to? What type of wind source device are you using?

You can get to the sensor listing on the TZT by hitting the home button - MENU - Initial setup - sensor list button.

On a NMEA 2000 bus, the TZT would never be your source of wind. It isn't a wind device/sensor. It sounds like your issue falls between your wind device and your autopilot. Normally your NMEA 2000 pilot (or converter) would pull the wind data directly off the NMEA 2000 network, from the source wind device (if it is NMEA 2000). Normally a NMEA 2000 converter will have one 0183 input and one output. In this case your NMEA 0183 output is (working) driving your pilot. What has the input of the converter been connected to? What type of wind source device are you using?

You can get to the sensor listing on the TZT by hitting the home button - MENU - Initial setup - sensor list button.
hi Johnny, could you please advise if the furuno tz2 will work with the raymarine auto pilot as described above?thanks

I thnk the confusion is due to the old Raymarine SPX-10 autopilot, which is a Seatalk device that antedates SeatalkNG. Seatalk is proprietary to Raymarine as a data format. It is not the same as NMEA0183 or NMEA2000

I think what you need is to get a Seatlak to NMEA 0183 converter such as the one made by Digital Yacht. If you just want to send waypoint NAV data to the autopilot, you could use the NMEA0183 port on the TZT. However, if you want the TZT2 to receive data from the Seatalk network (which it sounds like is where the wind and heading data are located), you would then need to have a NMEA0183 to NMEA 2000 interface like the Furuno IF converter.

The SPX-10 computer was always a tricky system to get to play well with nmea 2000 when it was setup originally as setalk 1. I believe you are going to have to setup a Raymarine seatalk ng backbone with their setalk 1 to seatalk ng converter. Raymarine Part # E22158

First step is to run all the seatalk 1 equipment in a series into the yellow port on the seatalk 1 to seatalk ng converter (Including your ST6001 AP Control Head). You may need a setalk 1 junction D224 if you run out of ports. You are no longer running it in a series to the SPX10. It will not be connected to it.

Now all of your seatalk 1 devices will be talking nmea 2000 language. Your SPX 10 was configured to talk to everything via seatalk 1 or seatalk ng (nmea 2000). The SPX10 had a special stealk ng cable that plugged onto its main board. Connect this into one of the white ports on the E22158 converter hub. If yours is lost then Max Marine Electronics still has plenty

**Now turn the switch on the SPX10 above the seatlk ng port plug to off. It is possible for the SPX10 to power the seatalk ng network, but you do not want to do that here.**

Plug the one of the blue terminator plugs into one of the blue ports found on the ends of the converter hub.

In the other blue port use a setalk ng to nmea 2000 backone converter cable to jump over to your nmea 2000 network.

You now have one white port left on the hub. This can be used to plug the provided red power cable into the hub to power the network. I assume you are adding this converter hub into an already powered nmea2000 network so most likely you will leave this port empty.

In this setup everything will talk to each other properly. If you need a diagram let me know and I can make one up. It is probably the only way I can think of where you will be successful.

The SPX10 had information limitations on sharing what came into the system. What I described above puts everything on the nmea 2000 network and does not pass it through the computer first. The SPX10 is grabbing everything it needs through nmea 2000 now. This includes what it needs from your plotter to navigate to waypoints.

I would download an SPX10 manual for reference as well. I am sure it still available on the website. If there is any issue after doing what I described above then I would factory reset the Raymarine AP system and do your dockside setup seatrial etc from scratch. It may be looking for something on the seatalk 1 network that is now on nmea 2000. I can't remember if it will find it automatically.

Back