TZT3 with old Raymarine autopilot?

Ranger

Our boat came with an older Raymarine SmartPilot, probably original equipment from 2006. The SP has a NMEA 0183 port (one pair listen, one pair talk).

When we installed the TZT16 last season, I didn't bother to address an MFD-autopilot connection, partly because the SP works like a champ in "go straight" mode and I had other things to fix.

I'd like to connect the two now, assuming it'll give me the ability to use the MFD to command the AP to various waypoints and along routes etc. In the TZT manual, I see the NMEA 0183 talk pair (white and blue wires in the Multi Cable)... so connecting that pair to the SP listen pair should be easy enough.

Is there any info the MFD needs BACK from the autopilot? Or is the one way street -- MFD talks to AP -- sufficient?

-Chris

The TZT16F sending data to the AP is sufficient. Typically, the only thing that comes back from an AP installation is heading. If that's already on the NMEA2000 bus, then it's good.

That would be nifty, if it works. The 0183 connection points are only physically about 12" apart. And we do already have heading on the NMEA 2000 bus.

I've been concerned about whether rudder reference info would be necessary, from AP to TZT.

-Chris

Rudder indication isn't necessary for the TZT, but if it's something wanted in a data box, normally the AP would just need to be set to output that info.

Rudder indication isn't necessary for the TZT, but if it's something wanted in a data box, normally the AP would just need to be set to output that info.

Wouldn't really need to see it, so if the TZT doesn't need it, seems like my easiest solution is the 2-wire 0183 connection...

Which also avoids the extra 0183-2000 connection via $$$ converter and 2-way CAN Bus hookup.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers, -Chris

Update: It was easy.

Connected the already-existing NMEA0183 OUT wires from Furuno MFD to the first NMEA IN port on the Raymarine SmartPilot. Used the Furuno initial set-up menu and the Raymarine commissioning guide to ensure relevant sentences are being passed from MFD to AP. Connections, done.

Then I just had to review the two operator's manuals to learn the key sequences to actually begin auto-piloting toward a selected point. Also straightforward.

Thanks, all.

-Chris

Update: It was easy.

Connected the already-existing NMEA0183 OUT wires from Furuno MFD to the first NMEA IN port on the Raymarine SmartPilot. Used the Furuno initial set-up menu and the Raymarine commissioning guide to ensure relevant sentences are being passed from MFD to AP. Connections, done.

Then I just had to review the two operator's manuals to learn the key sequences to actually begin auto-piloting toward a selected point. Also straightforward.

Thanks, all.

-Chris
What wires did you connect? Having same exact issue. Also what versio worked 1.5 or 2.0?

Back