Heading Line on Radar Display - True vs Magnetic

Loy

Furuno Fan
DRS4D-NXT
The heading line on the radar display shows as True value on the outer ring. The digital Heading shows same as the inputting compass value which is magnetic. The True value on the ring is a perfect representation of magnetic value adjusted by current location variation.
My whole world is magnetic. How do I get the radar screen to be oriented in magnetic?

Because there hasn't been a response in a couple of days it may be that this query belongs better in the RADAR forum.

I have a photo of the screen [both jpg and pdf] illustrating the issue, but they both are more than 4mb -- well over the 1mb limit.

The radar outer ring is always relative to the boat direction. It doesn't matter if you have true or magnetic heading input to the display, the orientation of the radar heading line is based off where the bow is pointing.

That might be true if orientation were set for head up. Mine is set for North up.
An example: the radar outer ring has 000 at the top. The boat's actual magnetic heading is 258 as displayed digitally. The variation at my location and time is 8 degrees west. The radar displays the heading line at 250 on the outer ring. That's the true heading. I want the heading to display magnetic on the outer ring. In this case it should be 258.

The radar outer ring can't be changed to a mode that always matches the compass heading data and position the outer ring to the heading number and have it displayed at the top of the screen.

Here are the definitions for each mode:

HEAD-UP
Relative – Bearing scale is fixed and “0” is at the top of the screen
True – Bearing scale rotates according to the movement of the boat

NORTH-UP
Relative - Bearing scale rotates according to the movement of the boat
True - Bearing scale is fixed and “0” is at the top of the screen

*Double check that the Bearing Scale Mode in the Radar Menu is set to Relative and not to True.

There are some example drawings on both modes displaying the outer ring and heading line from the center of the boat that might help on page 6-8 located in the Operators Manual.

Thank you.
But.....
I'm having trouble making myself clear.
I want the outer ring scale to be oriented to MAGNETIC North at the top. I want the heading line to intersection the scale at my MAGNETIC heading.
I realize that most users prefer head up, but North up is my preference.
It's just that with the North up orientation to TRUE instead of Magnetic, it forces constant mental calculations when visual objects are sighted relative to me boat compass and then related to the radar picture. This relationship need is much more frequent than comparison with a paper chart oriented to True North.
I'm aware of the arguments for having a relative picture, but it's just not to my liking.

Back