Grounding/bonding on a tin can?

Alysium

Howdy folks.

Great forum. I’ve been checking in for the last couple years, and trying to learn as much as I can.

So, I’ve got an aluminum hewescraft ocean pro 220. Like 24’6” LOA. I bought it in 2019. A year or two later they started adding a bonding wire. Currently mine doesn’t have one. From what I understand, apparently it’s best to have all negatives connected to a single bus and then a single bonding wire to the hull.

I’m in the process of installing a tzt3 16f, dff3d, fm4800, SCX20, and a drs2dnxt.

My question pertains to the grounding lug on the applicable units. In another thread it was recommended to have the installation isolated with zinc anodes, or better yet, a thru hull dyno-plate. So I guess my question is what is the best way to ground these units? Is the thru-hull dyno-plate isolated from the hull? Is there any literature covering this? I’m sure someone must be running an aluminum vessel with some similar equipment, I’d love to hear what you did.

Thanks

You are talking about main boat power and grounding systems. I would recommend talking to someone on a more general forum like www.ThehullTruth.com. You definitely don't want the skin of the boat to be used as a conduit of electrical flow or grounding loops.

In another thread it was recommended to have the installation isolated with zinc anodes, or better yet, a thru hull dyno-plate. So I guess my question is what is the best way to ground these units? Is the thru-hull dyno-plate isolated from the hull?
For the TZT3, DFF3D, and other Furuno devices the goal is to reduce external sources of noise, and give stray currents a pathway to ground.

If there's a performance ground or shield in the power cable and you use that a shield to the unit. Then do not use the grounding lugs on the device. If the common ground or ground bus bar is in the cockpit (example) and closer to the unit than where the power cable terminates, do not hook up the ground in the power cable but ground it to the lug. Do not ground both ends. Ideally, I've seen the least noise on boats with a dedicated dyno plate.

- Maggy

Thank you maggy. I found this helpful. (Looking for the little sailboat emoji.) ⛵

Last edited:
We recommend a proper bonded system normally via hull plate. Please see you local boat electrician for proper ABYC installations.

Back