GD 1900C slow scroll on sounder

A

Anonymous

I have an older model Nav-Net 2003. It is GD-1900C serial# 4390-3515. I have had trouble with the sounder freezing up while it scrolls. I was told it might be my Navonics card. I replaced it and it seems to scroll uninterrupted now. But it still seem slow at any advancements of scroll speed. Also I obtain a lot of clutter on my manual gain past the 15 level I understand at shallow water but it also does it at deep water 200 deg. freq. Could I have a bad transducer? Do you recommend an upgrade of any nature for this unit?
Thank You
Mike

Mike,

First things first. Your unit is 11 years old. Can you tell us what version of software your unit is running? This can be found on this disclaimer page at boot up (see attached picture). We really only need the last three numbers shown. In the picture I have attached the software would be 20,3. If you are running really old software this may be the key as to why your screen is scrolling along slowly. Can you pop out the Navionics SD card and see if your sounder screen speeds up? This is a quick and easy test to help determine what might be going on. Also, what speed are you running at when you are seeing too much clutter? Are you sitting still, trolling speed or WOT? If you can let us know what your doing with your sounder and how you are doing it, it will make it much easier for us to tell you how to proceed.

Stickman

Attachments

• Disclaimer.JPG
    Disclaimer.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 3,982
Stickman
Thank you for the response, The last 5 # are 1022,3 As far as the gain, it is a problem is seems at any speed. sitting , slow trolling or at traveling speed. I stands corrected it is the C-Map card and it doesn't seem to have any effect if the card is in or out and the chart speed is normally at 1/2 or 1/4 but have tried at 1/1 and same response.
Thank you again
Mike

Mike,
Check to be sure the PRR Rate is set to 20.

Snips

Attachments

• PRR.JPG
    PRR.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 3,972
Thank you for the information. I checked the ppr and it was set to 0 I moved it up to 20 and Ill see how that works. My local dealer says the transducers get out dated. Since mine is original 1000K should I look into replacing for even better quality picture?
Thank You again
Mike

Mike,
Over time, a ducer can get weak but it's really hard to tell unless you have another transducer of the same model to hang over the side to compare. However a weak transducer won't cause the scroll speed to slow down. I am pretty sure that resetting the PRR to 20 will fix the scroll speed issue. Keep us posted.

Snips

Well the on going issue.I put the boat in the water yesterday and tried the changes to the PPR. ( I did change the PRR to 20 ) It worked great for about 2 hours and then depth sounder froze. It would not advance at all and I tried different ranges, auto mode and manual mode. Turned it off and on also removed the Cmap chart. It made no difference. Any suggestions on what to do next?
Thank You Mike

Also the green light flashes on the ETR_6/10. Could it be the cable from that to the unit? :angry Thank you again for any information.

Boataholic,
This indeed could be a cabling issue. A simple way to check is to see if SIM 2 demo works. The Navnet systems have two sounder demo mode programs, one is in the display and the other is in the BBFF1 (ETR/6). To get there press MENU/System Configuration/System Setup and under Sounder change to from LIVE to Simulation 2 (Sim 1 is the program in the display). If all the cabling is fine you should see a scrolling sounder display, may need to adjust the gain and range to see it. If this doesn't work try viewing the Sim 1 program. If Sim 1 works and Sim 2 doesn't I would check all the cabling going from the display/hub/BBFF1.

Snips

Attachments

• Sim.JPG
    Sim.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 3,932
Back