Furuno 1731 Mark III

I have't opened the dome............:)

I was only referring to the molex connector on the left which comes from the dome and plugs into the display on right.

ok, I've opened the dome, but a bit hesitant to pull the unit out. To be clear, I'm trying to rewire the plug at the end coming from the dome, so I'm wondering what pulling the unit out to inspect the interior molex will do for me? Thanks.

Here is a photo of what the scanner cable should look like at the dome end of the cable.
1678483816107.png

It is helpful to the point to ensure each wire is going exactly where it should between the dome and the display regardless of whatever color cable stock is used.

Are you trying to do wiring inside of the display case and not the scanner cable?

You had said you needed the wiring into the plug. The wiring diagram shows that if your using the stock cable. If not the stock cable, the wiring colors would need to be verified coming from the scanner wire by wire to ensure they go to the correct place at the display. Are you now saying that you only need to identify which pin number is which on the display blue 24 pin connector? and again.. Are you trying to do wiring inside of the display case and not the scanner cable connection?

Thanks Johnny,
My apologies, sometimes I don't explain myself very well; age?...........
I have what I believe to be the stock wire coming from the antenna dome to the plug and the gentleman who gave me the unit removed the wires from the end of the plug for disassembly from the boat. So, I'm hoping to place the wires back into the single blue molex at the end of the cord coming from the antenna dome. I did open the display, but just took a look and reassembled. Thanks!

At the display side of the scanner cable you have a 24 pin plug connector on the cable correct? This connector plugs into the blue connector at the back of the display. It is this connector that you are trying to wire? (because you can't wire direct to the back of the display into that blue plug) If you only have open wires on the cable you are missing a very important part. The 24 pin cable connector should be attached to that cable.

Yes, if you look at the very first photo I provided, there's a pic of a blue molex in my vise which is on the end of wire/plug from the antenna dome. I've wired it up the way I believe to be correct, but I'm really not sure. The previous owner removed the wires from the plug for replacement.

Attachments

• furuno1.jpg
    furuno1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
He removed more than some wires. Here is what a proper scanner cable connector looks like including the water protection boot. 1678747514384.png1678747622418.png
The pin numbers are normally numbered in the plastic. If wired per the drawing; then if the unit good it should work.

Yes, I have all those parts and yes the molex is numbered. I'm looking for which color wire coincides with each number. It seems my current issue is that I'm not reading the drawing correctly. I'm just a lowly appraiser, not an electrical engineer...........:)

Thanks, Ron

The drawing shows the colors and pin numbers. Here is a snip of just that connector and the pins/colors for that side of the cable. It might be that you need to engage a dealer for direct assistance. I think furuno still sells pins for the connector if needed but the connector assmy is long gone. While the 1731Mk3 is about 20 years old, it is a good radar.

1678748938955.png

Ok thanks! My marine electronics guru retired and moved away and finding someone in Marin County Ca. seems challenging. I appears that I'm on the right track and appreciate your help. And yes, it is a good solid radar. I fished the boat it was on many, many times, so I'm familiar with it. I'll take another look in the next few days, but I think there was one wire

Take care, Ron

Hence the conversation about looking at what color wire is connected at the other end. Wires have two ends. In this case one end at the display and one at the radar dome. If missing a wire or the wire color may be different; one would look to see what is connected on the other side of the connection. Have you done this?

Thanks Johnny, I don't believe that's the correct pin. The Pins I have are tiny and round at the end. I did track some down that are very close. I wire everything up the way I believed to be correct and attached to battery. Fortuanely, there's a fuse to let me know that it's not right.........:)
Back to square one.

Back