Drs4d nxt going into standby

Gabby

Hey guys, hope you're all well.

I currently have a furuno drs4d nxt radar connected to my tztouch2. Also connected to my tztouch 2 is my 585 and 295 via a little furuno box, I forget the correct name of it.

The tztouch 2 connects to the fuse panel on it's own and so does my radar. The radar plugs into the back of the tztouch via the ethernet port in the back of the tztouch2.

The problem I am having, the radar just randomly goes into standby without any alarms or warnings. Sometimes it can take 8hrs, others times it will go into standby after 10 or 15 minutes.

I reported this problem to our furuno dealer in March 2017, it was 1 month old. At first I would get alarms saying radar connection lost, then standby, other times it would justngo into standby without warning.

Furuno Australia at first said it was an wiring or power issue, I had the whole boat rewired with 3 brand new batteries. They then said it was a software problem so they installed updates on all the hardware, no fix.
They then told me there was a issue with the pigtail connection which comes attached to the radar and the connection on the cable which connects the radar to the power supply, it sort of looks like a nmea2000 connector. So they cut the pigtail off and hard wired the radar to the power supply. They also told me there was a issue with having the excess cable coiled up that could be causing interfearance and causing it to cut out so while hard wiring it, they shortened the cable. They have given me a brand new radar and it's still cutting out. I connected the tztouch 2 and radar directly to a brand new independant battery with nothing else running off it to eliminate any wiring on my boat and it still cuts out !!!!

They are now thinking of trying a new tztouch 2, but I'm so over this whole issue I want to see if anyone else is having the same problem. My friend installed the radar on his brand new cruise craft 3 weeks ago and his does the exact same thing, he has it wired exactly the same as i have too. Is there any fix for this people?

Voltage is a l steady 14.4 to 13.5 volts, my autopilot, FCV295, FCV 585, all run fine with no issues what so ever. It doesn't make any difference if I'm running electronics or if its rough weather or if the boats in my front yard, or if the engines are on or off. I'm so baffled. Any help appreciated.

If you need any more info please ask.

If this is a 24v boat, you should ensure the NMEA 2000 bus power is isolated. This is a requirement by the NMEA 0400 installation standards. We have seen many odd issues like you describe only to find that the power isn't properly isolated. If that isn't that, I would recommend running a network bypass cable from the radar direct to the MFD. If the scanner cable was stretched during the install you might have an intermittent radar network cable. If someone has an Oscilloscope, you should check the DC power for any AC power noise/ripple. You can check the power all day long with a multi-meter and miss an issue with the power. If the dealer did the install, I would keep at them. If it is an installation issue, you can replace the units as many times as you want and the problem will still happen. If they sold and installed it, they should fix it. If it ends up being something on your boat (like RF/AC noise) it won't be warrantee but at least you will get the boat fixed. Good luck, I know boats can be a pain sometimes. I would keep good records with the interactions with the dealer and press the issue higher with the Australia distributor. Keep your cool because if it ends up being a boat issue there is less cheese to eat.

Hey johnny, thanks for the reply!

I'm not 100% sure if it's been isolated but I'll have a look this afternoon and get back to you.

As for your comment about the cable, my furuno rep bought a brand new cable and we tried it and it didnt make a difference so that rules out the damaged cable (I thought the same thing as we fed it through the hardtop bars).

I'm.not sure how it works in the states but here in aus they prefer a furuno accredited installer install all our gear, and let me tell you there isnt many around! So I'm quite confident it has been installed correctly. I'm starting to think this might be a software issue maybe corruption or incompatibility or something similar. The wiring on the boat has been looked at by furuno and we have also tried a different battery with hard connections to the electronics to eliminate interfearance. What do you think?

I would rule out software. We have been running the current version with tons of units out there working fine. It could be the radar scanner itself. These newer type radar scanners are a complete radar and just send the data down. If the data isn't broken or interfered with it should work as long as it is getting good power. If you don't have isolated power on the NMEA 2000 bus it will lead to a grounding loop that is very hard to detect. The Ethernet should have all shielded cables with metal connectors. If everything is right and the power is isolated on the NMEA 2000; I suspect the dome has a problem.

I'm sure you saw my comments on the other post. Since I replace my entire system, radar dome, TZT12 and cable I don't think the issue is in the hardware. I initially replaced the cable, issue continued. Replaced the dome next and issue continued. Next replaced the TZT12 and the issue continued. When I replaced the TZT12 I uploaded my old settings into the new display (this might be the issue). I disconnected the unit from my NMEA 2000 network, issue continued.

Finally I read the other post. I went into the "service man" option and reset my entire display. I manually put the settings the way I preferred them. Ran the unit and have not had a drop to stand by since. It has about 15 hours running since then. I think its a software / settings issue.

A friend has an open array NXT on his boat and it always drops to stand by. He has also replaced all of his components and it continues. Furuno has been to his boat to do some testing but I have not heard the outcome. He only has the drop to stand by in the closer ranges when it spins at 48rpm.

Furuno has my old display and dome and have been doing some testing on it. I wouldn't be surprised if the software update hasn't been released yet and there will be a fix in it. For the meantime if I was on your boat I would do the "service man" reset.

I will add Furuno has been the best company to deal with. I am in no way bashing them, just trying to help you. I had Simrad Evo2 system on my old boat, a Garmin system on my friends offshore boat that I maintain and Furuno blows both company's out of the water. There was extensive problems with my Evo2 system and the Garmin has had some issue too. When you have an issue, you want Furuno to be the company helping you with it.

Hey Mike, lol I would never consider any electronics other than Furuno. The definition I get on my Sounders is unbelievable and the service is good, they have never left me in the dark which is very rare from some of these boating companies. Most seem to palm you off....

I'm happy to reset my tztouch, the only thing I'd be worried about is losing my all my fishing Mark's. Can these be backed up separately? And once I do the reset Mike, do I need to upgrade it to the latest software?

And in response to Johnny's reply, the dome has been completely replaced with a brand new unit. I think the chances of having two faulty domes is very slim but not impossible either.

Thanks again for all your help i really do appreciate it.

You can export all your tracks and points. That should save all your “marks”. There are points and events on the TZT2 and I exported them with my tracks to a usb drive. I uploaded those onto the unit after the reset. I am over cautious and exported them to two different USB drives just to be safe. Also I always run the most current version of software, I would recommend you do that too. If you do the reset please post your results.

Well the issue has returned on mine. I have been trying to pay close attention when it happens and it appears to only happen in closer ranges. I think the radar spins at a faster RPM in closer ranges and the faster RPM might be the issue. We also can't get the issued fixed on another boat with the open array NXT. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Johnny Electron":3o955rtf said:
I would recommend you press the issue with your Australia distributor.

I'm in the USA. I have been working with Furuno in Denton, just curious if anyone else has a solution to it.

Not much help here but I installed my DRS4DNXT over a year ago with well over 100hrs of operating time and have not seen this problem... knock on wood :wink7

Ok guys I think I have figured it out.

Before we leave the marina in the morning we turn our internet connections on and download the latest weather updates charts ect. What's happening is, when there are multiple wifi network connections around the boat, the radar is getting confused and forcing it to go into standby. The issue is that black and white I can actually make my radar go into standby buy turning the wifi on and connecting between different networks, this makes it go into standby. I have tried it on 4 different radar and tzt2 setups and all 4 do the same thing.

I have spoken to furuno Australia and showed them a video taken off my phone showing it disconnecting and they were baffled and said that their one is doing the same thing and they were unaware of the problem untill now. They have asked furuno japan to look into it and hopefully come up with a fix.

For the time being, just make sure your wifi settings are completely turned off and hopefully this helps. I have put on 20hrs on the radar with not 1 standby error. Hope this helps and would love to hear your outcomes! Good luck.

OK, I couldn't make it through the entire video but thanks for clarifying. I suggest using your phone if you want to check the weather before leaving the dock or... disable the wireless LAN when you are offshore and actually want to use the RADAR.
Good luck.

All,
Currently there is testing be conducted regarding the reported issue of the DRS4D-NXT going into stand-by mode when you are using Wi-Fi and/or detecting multiple networks, or when connecting from one network to another network.

We are expecting an answer very shortly... :think

- Deep Blue

seaveepete":26lqy7ul said:
OK, I couldn't make it through the entire video but thanks for clarifying. I suggest using your phone if you want to check the weather before leaving the dock or... disable the wireless LAN when you are offshore and actually want to use the RADAR.
Good luck.

Yeah, that's what we have been doing, connecting to the weather server at the dock and downloading what we need too then turning wireless lan off havnt had a problem since! All is good thanks for everyones help and input

I turned my WiFi off and did some testing this weekend and no drops! Thanks for the info, I’m pretty sure this fixed it.

That's awsome mate I'm so happy I figured it out it was driving me insane!!

I'm glad it has worked for someone else aswell good luck!

Back