Freezing Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quitsa

Furuno Super Fan
My TZT 3 16 displays have developed an odd condition. It only happens after they have been running for at least an hour. When in full screen mode, if you try to switch the left sidebar from "Data" to "Route"or vice versa, the screen will freeze. It does it regardless of whether it is on plotter, sounder, or radar. Oddly isn't completely frozen because it is possible to tap the Home button and switch screens. If you switch to another full screen, it will freeze again. With a two or three panel, it doesn't freeze.

Shutting down and restarting fixes the problem until the unit has been running for a while.

Is this a known issue? I did a factory "hard" reset on one unit as an experiment and the problem came back. This just started a few weeks ago with nothing having changed on the system.

Not a known issue. It sounds like a video graphics driver issue or something. I would recommend you open a support case with tech support and provide a system LOG file from the unit after the problem has occurred.

I am having the same problem with both my 12 and 19-inch displays doing the same thing. They have frozen at various points, but like Quisita, I can hit the home button and switch screens. Going back to the same screen redisplays the locked up display. Initially, I thought it might be a one-off issue, as the first time it occurred was after an overnight anchorage on one display using the anchor watch function. But I have noticed it at various times, usually, everything is ok until I try to take some sort of action, like grab an ARPA target to get information, or to drop a pin on the fish finder to loop back to a school of fish. My biggest cue that it has locked up is the sounder screen stops advancing. I have only had both displays lock up at the same time one time.

That sounds very much like what happens on my system. The only other thing I have noticed is that the units will have been running for several hours before the problem occurs. I had it happen yesterday again because I was fishing offshore and out for a long time. I would estimate the unit had been running for 5-6 hours before it happened. I shut down and restarted the MFD that froze and it worked normally after that for a couple of hours until we returned and I shut everything down at the dock.

Yesterday the problem arose when I attempted to switch from a full screen sounder display to a full screen radar display using the top swipe quick access menu. I swiped down and tapped the radar and then the display froze with the sounder screen still visible but no longer moving. I could access the home menu but it stayed frozen if I tried to select anything.

It is somewhat counterintuitive to think this is a hardware problem given that it is so intermittent and so easily fixed with a restart. That sure seems like a software issue.

In regards to a sounder depth freeze, there is a known software bug. Two single-band transducers will stop updating depth and fix the value sometimes after changing the mode from HF to HF/LF. That's due to a bug in the ff app and will be fixed with V3 release. So, if you have the problem, you can go LF then to LF/HF and it will work. The problem always is from HF to LF/HF. As a work around one can go from HF to LF/HF can do this instead... Changing the mode to HF -> LF-> HF/LF. Anything beyond that should be worked with support so data can log files and other infomation can be captured in case some other software issue existing. Please work any odd case directly with the official support of your local distributor. "My Car doesn't start" can have many causes and they are not always the same root cause.

Johnny,

I complete understand what you are saying with the "My car won't start" reference. The challenge here is when the system is acting up is always outside of normal business hours of tech support, or I am out of cell phone range. What is the procedure for capturing log files so that I can be ready with them when I call tech support?

Working in the IT realm for years I agree with mattology, it feels like a ram leak/memory management issue simply because a restart will fix it. I have had once or twice now that I think of it the displays have each rebooted themselves on their own after a lockup like this. I am semi local to your Denton, MD facility as I am in Solomon's MD. I also have no objections to running alpha/beta software if there is a real world testing that is needed to get it to RC status. :think

To capture a log file you need a USB stick and go into service mode and export the log file from the utility menu. To record a sample of the NMEA 2000 data on the network is done by USB stick and turn on "Enable NMEA 2000 log" and then turn off after the event or issue. When you run into something only a few is reporting it takes data to get to the bottom of it. Bringing it without data and into the courtroom of pubic speculation gains no one any solution. While we appreciate that there there might be something undiscovered going on that is affecting a few people, the goal is to get to the bottom of it with collected data. Please get with technical support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back