Fishhunter drive up and working

Quick question. Do I need the SUZ-PLT-SOF update if I just bought a the Navpilot 300, or is the software already installed?
From what I can see it seems that it is installed on my newly bought hardware it also includes the warning stickers. Crossing my fingers :) Just installed it today and it connected beautifully to Garmin 1223xv, just waiting for the gateway and autopilot pump then I am set for summer !!!

One clarification point based on our prior discussions on this thread. While we noted that RRU information is required for POINT LOCK. Suzuki units like that one in the video doesn't need an RRU installed for POINT LOCK because the Suzuki electric rams have built in RRU information that gets passed to the pilot. Those with SeaStar/Dometic steering would most likely need to install an RRU but you might check with your dealer first before buying one.

From what I can see it seems that it is installed on my newly bought hardware it also includes the warning stickers. Crossing my fingers :) Just installed it today and it connected beautifully to Garmin 1223xv, just waiting for the gateway and autopilot pump then I am set for summer !!!
Do you have the FishHunter Drive working with just the Nav pilot 300 and a Garmin unit? No Furuno MFD in the system like the install instructions call for?

Do you have the FishHunter Drive working with just the Nav pilot 300 and a Garmin unit? No Furuno MFD in the system like the install instructions call for?
Very interested in learning more as that’s my plan (reuse garmin MFD) especially since the price for all other components is nearing $5k when I thought it would be more like $3k.

You can drive the Furuno pilot with the old Garmin display when configured with the correct PGNs etc. It just won't have the virtual controls or pop up navigational options offered by the Suzuki SMDs or the Furuno TZT2/3/Gp1871F/GP1971F MFDs.

Success!

I managed to get my Fish Hunter Drive working this past Friday after the dealer swapped out new bcm's. I tested the sabiki lock against the current in the Columbia River and it worked pretty well while the wind was light. Later in the day the wind was out of the NW 25 knots or more and the current was E and running hard on a outgoing tide. It wouldn't increase the throttle above in gear so it couldn't keep up in those conditions and would spin. Overall, I think it will work in about 80% of the fishing scenarios I do for drifting as normally shifting in and out of just in gear works without advancing the throttle. I'm hoping the auto cruise speed control has some adjustments as it is slow to react. For example I set it at 27 mph and it would let the boat get down to 23 mph before adding throttle and shooting past the set speed up into the low 30's. Unfortunately for my hull that makes it want to fall off plane in the low 20's.

Side Install notes - The Gesture remote doesn't update with the software update package sold by Furuno so you have to get that emailed in a zip file and do the update via bluetooth with a computer.

Great feedback FishAddict! Please know that the kits have now been updated to include the instructions and software for the GCU based on your feedback. I am really glad to hear the new Suzuki interface is now available and working well. Thanks for pushing through and sharing information.

You can drive the Furuno pilot with the old Garmin display when configured with the correct PGNs etc. It just won't have the virtual controls or pop up navigational options offered by the Suzuki SMDs or the Furuno TZT2/3/Gp1871F/GP1971F MFDs.
Thanks! Exactly what limitations in the pop up nav options would I be looking at? Would I still be able to set a route on the Garmin and have the autopilot follow it automatically? If I can control the pilot from the furuno autopilot display that should suffice but want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

Success!

I managed to get my Fish Hunter Drive working this past Friday after the dealer swapped out new bcm's. I tested the sabiki lock against the current in the Columbia River and it worked pretty well while the wind was light. Later in the day the wind was out of the NW 25 knots or more and the current was E and running hard on a outgoing tide. It wouldn't increase the throttle above in gear so it couldn't keep up in those conditions and would spin. Overall, I think it will work in about 80% of the fishing scenarios I do for drifting as normally shifting in and out of just in gear works without advancing the throttle. I'm hoping the auto cruise speed control has some adjustments as it is slow to react. For example I set it at 27 mph and it would let the boat get down to 23 mph before adding throttle and shooting past the set speed up into the low 30's. Unfortunately for my hull that makes it want to fall off plane in the low 20's.

Side Install notes - The Gesture remote doesn't update with the software update package sold by Furuno so you have to get that emailed in a zip file and do the update via bluetooth with a computer.
Thanks so much for sharing! How slow can it work for trolling, can it follow a course at minimum throttle or does it need to be set above 5mph or similar?

Thanks! Exactly what limitations in the pop up nav options would I be looking at? Would I still be able to set a route on the Garmin and have the autopilot follow it automatically? If I can control the pilot from the furuno autopilot display that should suffice but want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.
With the other brand plotters you can lay a route or active GOTO but you must hit NAV on the pilot to have it follow it. The Furuno units will get an automatic pop-up asking if you want the pilot to Navigate the route and if you say YES, you are off and running without touching the NAV on the pilot. It is convenient but if you have other plotters onboard you wish to run routes with, it will work fine as long as they are interfaced properly.

I have SMG4's and Suzuki in Norway does not have SMD's to use and I do not want to buy one just for one time setup. Do you know if it is possible to setup the Gateway(34923-96L12) without a SMD(the Furuno instructions are only for SMD)?

Last edited:
I have SMG4's and Suzuki in Norway use does have SMD's to use and I do not want to buy one just for one time setup. Do you know if it is possible to setup the Gateway(34923-96L12) without a SMD(the Furuno instructions are only for SMD)?
We tried many different ways and could only program the gateway with a SMD7/9/12/16.
The SMG4, C10 PLUS, and other MFDs could not program the gateway. I suspect a Suzuki dealer might be able to prgram the gateway for you but I have not confirmed this yet.

We tried many different ways and could only program the gateway with a SMD7/9/12/16.
The SMG4, C10 PLUS, and other MFDs could not program the gateway. I suspect a Suzuki dealer might be able to prgram the gateway for you but I have not confirmed this yet.
This is scary, I really do not want to use at least 2000$ on a SMD I will not use .... Is it required to setup the gateway to use fishhunter mode?

Hi

I have a pair of Suzuki BG 140 2021 and the BCM has number 36770 98J13
So if I buy a new BCM with number 36770 98L01 , 98L02 or 98L03 and get the Suzuki dealer to program it, then it would work ???

off course I also need to add the Suzuki getaway

I already have the:
nav pilot 300 with the right software
TZT3 16” with the right aoftware
Scx 20 satellite compas

Hopefully somebody could help

Thx

Hi

So if I buy a new BCM with number 36770 98L01 , 98L02 or 98L03 and get the Suzuki dealer to program it, then it would work ???

I already have the:
Scx 20 satellite compas

Thx
From what i understand the engines must be 2022 or later to be supported, so the BG 140 engines are a year too old.

This is scary, I really do not want to use at least 2000$ on a SMD I will not use .... Is it required to setup the gateway to use fishhunter mode?
We are exploring options to work around this exact situation. Gateway setup is required, otherwise your SMG4s will do nothing but alarm about the mode setting OR they will show no data at all.
Hi

I already have the:
Scx 20 satellite compas

Thx
@kimthesax is correct. You must have 2022 engines.

Back