Fishhunter drive up and working

Nedda

Hi all,
Not sure if any one has been successful in getting the fishhunter drive functional on their vessel. I am happy to say I final have.

It took some work as the Suzuki dealer did not have a clue what I was talking about when I mention fishhunter drive. He was good enough to help me purchase all the items I needed and reprogrammed the new BCM.

If any one would like any details what I have done and how I go it up and running please reach out.
Now that I have it functioning I have one last step and that is to install a rudder reference unit so I can get the point lock function to work.

Well done. Furuno recently has shot some videos that will be released soon on how these Fishhunter systems are put together and operate. They are really slick but Suzuki was a bit slow to get the needed interface and items to market. You have one of the first systems out there. Many customers are still trying to figure it out. I am glad your Suzuki dealer stepped up. It will be nice to have you as part of the forum for others that take a similar path. Thanks so much for posting the good news.

Hi all,
Not sure if any one has been successful in getting the fishhunter drive functional on their vessel. I am happy to say I final have.

It took some work as the Suzuki dealer did not have a clue what I was talking about when I mention fishhunter drive. He was good enough to help me purchase all the items I needed and reprogrammed the new BCM.

If any one would like any details what I have done and how I go it up and running please reach out.
Now that I have it functioning I have one last step and that is to install a rudder reference unit so I can get the point lock function to work.
I would love to hear more about the details, I have bought most parts(se attachment) .. but the actual Suzuki linkage is my main concern and I have a SMG4 but hope that is not a problem in it self.

Attachments

• Furuno setup.png
    Furuno setup.png
    141.1 KB · Views: 40
Thank you (first of all) for sharing this good news and offering to help provide some insight for those of us eagerly awaiting details on how we can take advantage. I bought a 2022 DF250AP but believe my BCM is an 00 vs 01 unit so am wondering if I need to replace it. Why do you need a RRU, I thought it wasn’t needed if you had the SCX20?

I’m so glad to hear that someone has got this to work! I just got my new Suzuki DF350 installed last Friday. I updated my Nav Pilot 300 and TZT3 software and headed to the water Sunday. Upon finishing the dockside setup I tried to turn in FishHunter Drive and I got a BCM error. I got a flashlight out and the brand new SPC 2.0 controls were installed with BCM # 36770-98L00. I spoke to Furuno tech support yesterday and they said it has to have the BCM ending in 01 or newer. My Suzuki dealer said the newest BCM part number in his computer is the last two digits 02. The strange part is this engine and controls just got delivered last week so I’m shocked that Suzuki is still sending out legacy BCM modules. My Suzuki dealer said he is going to work on getting me the newest BCM. Can you please confirm which BCM you have that is working? I’m also anxious to hear how the point lock works as I have been using the phantom rudder feedback and trying to determine if buying the smart stick is worth it.

I can confirm that those with the L00 BCM has the older BCM that won't support FishHunter. I saw on thehulltruth a Suzuki dealer saying that getting those changed out with Suzuki should be no problem. There is no software update that will change that older L00 BCM. It must be an 01, 02, or 03 BCM for FishHunter. Lacking information from Suzuki, Furuno will be releasing a detailed document and video on the setup of their gateway very soon. We have found that if you have the SMG4s, that you must turn these out of PRIMARY MODE (OFF) because the new SUZUKI gateway will take the role of translating all data for the 2000 bus for the engines, tanks, and pilot communications. Despite being told that the SMG4s can configure these newer gateways, we didn't find that to be the case. To setup the SUZUKI gateway; a Suzuki dealer PC and dealer software is needed or one of the SUZUKI SMD units that has the correct software like the SMD7, SMD9, SMD12, or SMD16. Once everything goes together, it really seems to shine. PointLock does require the pilot have an RRU because boat isn't moving and developing COG which is a requirement for the Fantum feedback function to work. At speeds less than 3 knots, an RRU is typically needed. PointLock requires it. I am excited to see these new engines have this possibility, now that they released the needed gateway. Many still need configuration information for their interface, we think we will be able to pull enough information to assist with that. You should see some documents and videos in the next few weeks from Furuno USA.

Last edited:
I can confirm that those with the L00 BCM has the older BCM that won't support FishHunter. I saw on thehulltruth a Suzuki dealer saying that getting those changed out with Suzuki should be no problem. There is no software update that will change that older L00 BCM. It must be an 01, 02, or 03 BCM for FishHunter. Lacking information from Suzuki, Furuno will be releasing a detailed document and video on the setup of their gateway very soon. We have found that if you have the SMG4s, that you must turn these out of PRIMARY MODE (OFF) because the new SUZUKI gateway will take the role of translating all data for the 2000 bus for the engines, tanks, and pilot communications. Despite being told that the SMG4s can configure these newer gateways, we didn't find that to be the case. To setup the SUZUKI gateway; a Suzuki dealer PC and dealer software is needed or one of the SUZUKI SMD units that has the correct software like the SMD7, SMD9, SMD12, or SMD16. Once everything goes together, it really seems to shine. PointLock does require the pilot have an RRU because boat isn't moving and developing COG which is a requirement for the Fantum feedback function to work. At speeds less than 3 knots, an RRU is typically needed. PointLock requires it. I am excited to see these new engines have this possibility, now that they released the needed gateway. Many still need configuration information for their interface, we think we will be able to pull enough information to assist with that. You should see some documents and videos in the next few weeks from Furuno USA.
Amazing update, thank you very much :)

It sounds like I need to have the dealer check to see if my SMG4 is set to "Primary Off Mode" and that the Gateway would be set to "Primary On"? My dealer said he used a Suzuki Y cable that one went to the SMG4 and the other to the Suzuki Gateway. The only NEMA 2000 cable is coming from the Gateway to the network. There is no NEMA 2000 cable coming from the SMG4 NEMA 2000 port to the NEMA 2000 network. I'm hoping this means that it was setup properly. Here is a picture of the Gateway they installed.

Attachments

• Suzuki Gateway.jpg
    Suzuki Gateway.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
It sounds like I need to have the dealer check to see if my SMG4 is set to "Primary Off Mode" and that the Gateway would be set to "Primary On"? My dealer said he used a Suzuki Y cable that one went to the SMG4 and the other to the Suzuki Gateway. The only NEMA 2000 cable is coming from the Gateway to the network. There is no NEMA 2000 cable coming from the SMG4 NEMA 2000 port to the NEMA 2000 network. I'm hoping this means that it was setup properly. Here is a picture of the Gateway they installed.
If you are not seeing the error below on your SMG4, then it sounds like you are setup properly.
IMG_9089.jpg

Who knows maybe once I get the correct BCM installed I'll get the "Check Primary Mode Setting" next. Thanks for posting it up as that helps me know what to do if it happens.

I think you would get that error regardless of the BCM so I agree that your SMG4 sounds like it is set correctly. Once you get the right BCM, you should be rocking it.

Does anyone know if the

Seastar AR4502 Smartstick Standard Output - Generic Autopilot Position Sensor​

Will work for the Rudder Feedback Sensor with the Nav Pilot 300 and Fish Hunter Drive. It looks the same as the Furuno part number FAP-AR4502 in my FishHunter Drive install guidelines

Hi all, just a quick run down of my setup. I have TZT3 16”, navpilot300, SCX20 and a 2021 plated Suzuki DF350A with the L00 BCM and the SMG4 gauge.
I had received the updates from Furuno dealer and update the software through autopilot.
I have added to the setup the Suzuki gateway 96L12, a Suzuki multi gauge adapter cable. The adapter cable allows the gateway into the system whilst still having the functionality of the SMG4 gauge. No need to buy a separate Suzuki mfd which is what I was told I need from the Suzuki dealership.
With the old L00 BCM there was an error code. I brought the new L02 BCM and had the Suzuki dealer reprogrammed the system and now the fishhunter drive is working.
As mentioned above the SMG4 needs the primary mode switched off to allow the gateway to function correctly.
The point lock function is currently locked out in my system as it requires RRU to working. When ever the fantom rudder is selected in the setting manual the point lock function will be locked out. I will be including the AR4502 telestick very shortly.

Hi mate,
I have both the gateway and the SMG4 connected to the NEMA 2000 network. Changing the primary mode is an easy process through the main menu on the gauge

Hi all, just a quick run down of my setup. I have TZT3 16”, navpilot300, SCX20 and a 2021 plated Suzuki DF350A with the L00 BCM and the SMG4 gauge.
I had received the updates from Furuno dealer and update the software through autopilot.
I have added to the setup the Suzuki gateway 96L12, a Suzuki multi gauge adapter cable. The adapter cable allows the gateway into the system whilst still having the functionality of the SMG4 gauge. No need to buy a separate Suzuki mfd which is what I was told I need from the Suzuki dealership.
With the old L00 BCM there was an error code. I brought the new L02 BCM and had the Suzuki dealer reprogrammed the system and now the fishhunter drive is working.
As mentioned above the SMG4 needs the primary mode switched off to allow the gateway to function correctly.
The point lock function is currently locked out in my system as it requires RRU to working. When ever the fantom rudder is selected in the setting manual the point lock function will be locked out. I will be including the AR4502 telestick very shortly.
Did the Suzuki Dealer program your new gateway? The only way we are aware of to program the new gateway is via Suzuki or one of the Suzuki MFDs.

Doing a great job Nedda. I am very glad to hear your fishhunter drive is working. Today we will be posting two detailed documents under the Navpilot 300 product, that we put together on the subject. When you review them, if you see any errors, please let us know. Hopefully we can help many Suzuki customers with them.

Last edited:
New documents have been posted under the Navpilot 300. You can also see the Furuno news on this forum for direct links to the new documents.

Doing a great job Nedda. I am very glad to hear your fishhunter drive is working. Today we will be posting two detailed documents under the Navpilot 300 product, that we put together on the subject. When you review them, if you see any errors, please let us know. Hopefully we can help many Suzuki customers with them.
Awsome, finaly some clear info. This is great :)

Back