FA-50 and NN3D

wkearney99

Furuno Super Fan
I've an existing install with four MFD12 units running NN3D (2 each, lower and flybridge stations). The radar unit seems to be failing, and this may be a 'good enough' excuse to get the ball rolling on an upgrade to a TZT3 setup.

The docs mention TZT3 not being compatible with NN3D. From a software standpoint, I get why, chart compatibility and all that, which is fine.

But can they share the same Ethernet network?

I ask because I might not go 'full bore' and replace all four MFD12s. Right now the MFD12's talk to the FA-50 for AIS, and used to talk to a BBWX1 before I discontinued Sirius service. I know the BBWX1 won't work with the new TZT3.

If I kept 2 of the MFD12's installed would they still be able to obtain AIS data from the FA-50 via Ethernet? Or is there a deeper issue with IP addressing and the like that means you literally cannot have both NN3D and TZT3 devices on the same network? I'm guessing the whole DHCP and charts would be the main reason?

Can the TZT3 work on an NMEA-2000 network that also has an NN3D MDF12 on it? Assuming, of course, that the NN3D is configured not to retransmit anything, and knowing that only one MFD12 can be connected to an N2K bus.

It's been convenient having two MFD12's at each station. Being able to maintain situational awareness using two different chart styles and zoom ranges. I know the TZT3 is considerably faster, and split-screen would likely also handle most of that. But I already own these and there's helm space to allow for keeping both.

If I can't keep the MDF12 and TZT3 on the same ethernet, it's not a big deal. Stepping back to just two MFD12's, without radar, would eliminate the need for the Ethernet switch, as I could just wire them to each other. I'd have to either pull in AIS via 0183 or the N2K bus.

So is the "can't be on the same network" restriction due to DHCP/IP addressing issues? I'll plan around it, if so.

But can they share the same Ethernet network?
NO they can not. Don't try it. It is possible to keep some of your NN3D on one network and the TZT3 on another network and then have them share "some" information via the NMEA 2000 bus. They can NOT be on the same Ethernet.

I know the BBWX1 won't work with the new TZT3.
Officially that is true but in general it will work. As part of an upgrade, you could most likely keep it as part of your new system and have it work okay. It isn't supported but it does work, at least currently.

It's been convenient having two MFD12's at each station. Being able to maintain situational awareness using two different chart styles and zoom ranges. I know the TZT3 is considerably faster, and split-screen would likely also handle most of that. But I already own these and there's helm space to allow for keeping both.
You might also look at the TZT2BB and run two off the shelf touch screens. The TZT2BB is basically a TZT3 with the same processor and memory. It came out after the TZT2 and is more a TZT3 than TZT2 is.

It is possible to have a TZT series one on the same network with NN3D. They are still available and the TZT14s would maybe be good fit replacements for the MFD12s. It all depends on what you are looking for in the upgrade. NN3D can NOT work with TZT2 or TZT3 on the same network.

Back