DRS6A/TZT14 Radar Split Screen Mode

Reel Catch

I have a DRS6A Radar (S/W Version 1.16) that is networked into two TZT14's (both S/W Version 5.01). When a TZT is in radar split screen mode (radar/radar), I can set different ranges for the two radar displays. However, I cannot set different gains for the two radar displays. After I set the gain for one radar display, I go to set the gain for the other radar display, and then the gain on the first radar display automatically switches to be the same as the gain on the second radar display. This happens no matter which radar display I set the gain on first. According to the TZT Operators Manual Paragraph 6.23 on Page 6-18, I should be able to separately set the gain for the two radar displays. I have discussed this issue with two different Furuno Technicians and gotten conflicting answers. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Joe, Reel Catch

Reel Catch,

What did the technicians say?

My understanding you should be able to set the gain, sea clutter, rain clutter separately?

C-Bass

One technician said that loading the latest DRS6A S/W would give me the ability to separately set the gains, as well as give me bird mode. The second technician said that the DRS6A radar is not capable of having the gains set separately, nor would it give me bird mode. I've not proceeded to load the latest DRS6A S/W (per the 1st technician) until I have a definitive answer from Furuno on how to proceed. Per my above E-mail, I'm looking to see if other TZT/DRS6A users can set the gain separately or have bird mode.

Good afternoon Reel Catch,

So here is what I know. When the DRS6A came out back in 2008 with the NavNet 3D MFD series, that combination of product was capable of Dual Range Radar with independent controls for Gain, Sea Clutter, Rain Clutter. The original version of DRS6A software was 1.10, so we have come along ways with updates. The latest update for the DRS6A version 1.18 does give you bird mode if it is connected to a TZT1 (4.21 and above) or TZT 2 (3.05 and above). So your system should be able to do this feature.

Couple of things, I have only been on one boat that showed your symptoms. This vessel was using a TZT2BB system and a DRS12AX radar. Ultimately we udpated the TZT2BB to the latest version 6.23 and that fixed the issue. I think maybe it had to do with a possible corrupt software load concerning the FPGA. So reflashing to the latest full version of software blew out the old FPGA and replaced with new did the trick.

So I think you should backup and save your settings, routes, points, tracks. Follow the update instructions exactly to update the TZT1 and the DRS6A. Don't skip any steps and I think you will see that everything will work.

DRS6A Software History
https://www.furunousa.com/-/media/s...ry/software/software/drs_software_history.pdf

C-Bass..........received this from Furuno a few days ago.

Thank you for contacting Furuno USA, Inc.

The manual is a misprint. The gain is going through one transceiver, and and cannot be adjusted separately at two different ranges.
We apologize for any confusion this may have caused regarding Dual-Range Display. The manual will likely be updated and corrected in the future.

Thanks again for contacting Furuno USA, Inc. We hope we have been able to answer your question.
Please feel free to contact us with further questions in the future.

Best Regards
Light Marine Technical Support

Any thoughts on this????????????

Good morning Reel Catch,

Can you confirm how you are trying to adjust the gain in the dual radar mode.

There is a couple of ways to adjust radar gain.

1.) You can adjust the radar gain using the pop out window "Radar" which shows you controls of the radar: Gain, Sea Clutter, Rain.

2.) You can touch the display on each display window and choose Radar Adjust and choose auto/manual gain.

3.) You can hit the Roto Key, select radar adjust, and then choose auto/manual.

Can you confirm which way you are trying to adjust the radar gain when in dual radar mode?

The first way using the pop out window will not work, the latest software that is grayed out. So try using the 2nd or third option?

c-bass

Back