DRS4DNXT safe distance from BBWX4 and SCX-20

mattology

Furuno Super Fan
Hello

I am installing a DRS4DNXT along with BBWX4 and SCX20 onto my 22 foot key west center console with soft/canvas t-top.

If I am away from the + - 12.5 degree beam , what additional distance is needed? The BBWX4 says 2 meters away. I am not sure I have that much distance on my T Top. The SCX20 I do not have a clear understanding of how far it needs to be from the radar, but there are distances given for magnetic compasses.

Is there any leniency given to the distances, as long as i am out of the direct beam path of the radar, given that the drs4dnxt is solid state and already emits lower radiation than the traditional radars?

My plan is to have the radar elevated on a post , and angled forward 4 degrees. This will open up lots of room behind the radar on the T top to safely place my SCX-20 and BBWX4 and have it out of the beam path.

Thank you in advance.

You're on the right path. :cool

Unlike VHF, the RF of a radar is pretty specific and flat and with a dome the horizontal beam width is generally 30 degrees total. Sat antennas just need clear line-of-sight view of the horizon, as well as need to stay out of the beam width of a radar. When mounting the radar, check the post for any rattle (it will affect the image) and always make sure to coat the mounting bolts with silicone sealant when finally mounted to prevent moisture from entering the dome.

*Note: if space is too tight you can put the antennas behind and under the radar and setup sector-blanking to prevent the radar from echoing in that direction. If unsure post a pic or email tech support a pic of your mount and we can take a look.

Because the SCX20 and SRA50 (Sat radio antenna) are both receive units they can be right near each other. As long as they are below (or above) the radar beam having them close to the radar is normally perfectly fine (and done a lot) if you have about 1.5 feet.

Back