DRS4D not showing up.

garthpaine

Hi everyone.

I have the following, which I am aiming to use to replay a vx2 setup on my sailing boat.

Display - MFD12, MFD8
Radar - DRS4D with psu017
Network - Hub101
+ AIS ETC via N2K

The displays work together when patched through the hub and also share the N2K data. All good.

I just bought the DRS4D with psu017. It all looks clean and in good condition but I can not get the mfd12 to find it and I notice that what ever Ethernet cable i use. I see no network activity on the hub from the radar. Plenty from he mfd’s.

The radar has good power ( I measured it at over 48v) and I have tried several Ethernet cables connected to the hub and also directly to the mfd12. No luck

I do see a blinking green led on the board on the network side - should I see one in the power side somewhere? What else can I test? Thanks.

Attachments

• 042A2E9F-30A5-4D47-AF87-D1D3099742BD.jpeg
    042A2E9F-30A5-4D47-AF87-D1D3099742BD.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 460707B4-61B6-4BA7-ABBD-0D8A2A8F9D4C.jpeg
    460707B4-61B6-4BA7-ABBD-0D8A2A8F9D4C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
Hi everyone.

I have the following, which I am aiming to use to replay a vx2 setup on my sailing boat.

Display - MFD12, MFD8
Radar - DRS4D with psu017
Network - Hub101
+ AIS ETC via N2K

The displays work together when patched through the hub and also share the N2K data. All good.

I just bought the DRS4D with psu017. It all looks clean and in good condition but I can not get the mfd12 to find it and I notice that what ever Ethernet cable i use. I see no network activity on the hub from the radar. Plenty from he mfd’s.

The radar has good power ( I measured it at over 48v) and I have tried several Ethernet cables connected to the hub and also directly to the mfd12. No luck

I do see a blinking green led on the board on the network side - should I see one in the power side somewhere? What else can I test? Thanks.
Did you run the Install Wizard after you connected and powered up all the equipment? That is a required step for the radar to ever be recognized.
Start at Section 3.1 in the Install Manual.

Thank you, yes, I have from the wizard several times without luck. It never finds the radar. I have also connect to the computer directly to the radar to find the IP address and none appears.

Greetings Garthpaine,

Just to better understand the situation. Here's a System Configuration with the components you described:

1680550251200.png

You mention that you purchased a DRS4D with PSU-017, but are using a MFD12.

Just to be sure, are you powering the DRS4D with the MFD12 by itself, as shown in the system configuration above? And not getting any radar showing up when using the wizard?

Or is there a PSU-017 (used only with the newer TZT9/14/BB installations and above) installed between the DRS4D radar and the MFD12 (which isn't necessary)? If so, the MFD12 was designed to power the radar dome without the need for a Power Supply Unit. Remove the PSU-017 and re-evaluate. Let us know what you find.

- Maggy

Last edited by a moderator:
yes thanks - I read the above diagram as saying the PSU-017 was optional? Also then I am unsure where to pull the power for the radar when connected directly to the MFD12? thanks

Thank you – it is very cool that you can power the radar directly from the MFD 12. I’m amazed that it can replace the rather heavy PSU 017. So I connected this up today and again ran the installation wizard and the radar is not found. I also tried the trick of holding the cancel button whilst powering up the mfd12 into the initial set up installation wizard, and again the radar was still not found. I have checked the ethernet cable with a tester, and the wiring is correct, and I know that I am getting power at the radar as I have tested that with a multimeter. I’m a bit uncertain where else to look.

Furuno troubleshooting documents then point to either an issue with the ethernet cables or with the radar. If the ethernet cables are not shielded Cat5e with metal RJ45 connectors, replace the cables with shielded ones. The next step after this would be to check for network activity lights from the radome followed by pinging the radar.

- Maggy

Thank you, yes, it is a Furuno cable, and it is shielded, and I have tried pinging the radar, but it never shows any IP address even when I do a arp -a when the radar is the only thing on the network other than my laptop, I see no IP addresses. In Contrast, when I connect to the MFD and do the same, I get an IP address, of course. In terms of lights, there are no lights when I connect the ethernet cable from the radar to the hub 101 - it shows no activity. There is a flashing green LED on the board that the ethernet cable connects to in the radar, which does flash faster on power up, and then just settles down to a steady flash. I am starting to think that the radar board is not working

Furuno troubleshooting documents then point to either an issue with the ethernet cables or with the radar. If the ethernet cables are not shielded Cat5e with metal RJ45 connectors, replace the cables with shielded ones. The next step after this would be to check for network activity lights from the radome followed by pinging the radar.

- Maggy
Thank you for your incredible assistance here - it’s amazing to have such knowledgeable advice offered directly to users. I greatly appreciate it.

Just wondering if there is anything lease that I can check here of do you agree it might be broke? In which case I guess it’s more cost to repair than replace? Thanks, Garth.

If it's not working for either the MFD12 or with the MFD8, and you've replaced the ethernet cables, then possibly - it really needs to be evaluated. Make sure when checking with ether unit to make sure it's not connected to any network besides the radar (NMEA2000 or Ethernet). Run the installation wizard, DHCP set to "on", and do not "skip" ahead. If it sees a radar, you'll get a radar tab in the setup pages. If no radar is found with ether unit, check our website to find a local dealer in your area - otherwise have it sent in for a service evaluation. If you send it in you'll at least know if it's the radar or something else and an estimate for repair (which you can choose to repair or do something else).

Back