DFF1 - MB1100 - 50/200-1T not working

peachypete82

Hi guys

So my first post here, hoping for some help.

Weve recently purchased a boat and trying to sort out loose ends. It has VX2 navnet, with radar and the sounder. When we got the boat, the guy said he replaced the network sounder with a new unit (DFF1) and it needed "calibration". So i looked into it and spotted it had a MB1000, which doesnt suit the DFF1. So i purchased on of them, and wired it up yesterday to no avail.

Ive diagnosed the network, thanks to a previous post on this forum. it runs via a network switch, and when i pull the cable from the back of the main screen if i try to run network sounder test it bounces back the previous screen. When i plug the network cable in, the tests page comes up and tells me the sounder program version 0252353-02.04. ROM1 is blank, RAM is blank, Temp shows 010.34c (which is about 10c out) and depth blank.

When i run display unit diags i get program version 195002401.05.

I have set the dipswitches on the DFF1 so that only the right hand side one is down when looking at the front of the unit with cover off (1kw mode). Mode switch is set for VX2, so left down, middle 2 up and right down.

Ive also run the reset the DFF1 by having all dips up, left hand one then down and press reset and wait 20 seconds and then all dips up.

I notice i dont hear any knock or tapping that others hear from the tranny.

Ive taken photos of all settings, cable and part numbers, incl test screens if that helps. Link below

https://kontekservices-my.sharepoin...VBn9rVKYyhb7IBHFz-Axp3N7OkoyG5lUs87g?e=PgncxD

So i wonder if the previous owner replaced the network sounder with a DFF1 for no reason? maybe it was OK and the tranny was dead? Or maybe the firmware on the display cant understand the messages on the network from the DFF1, which im also thinking is an issue?

Im struggling to think of what to do next. Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Pete from Oz

Peachypete82,
Thank you for your pictures.
The CA50/200-1T and MB-1100 could have been used with any of our smaller sounders.
Your pictures show that it is wired correctly.
Also know that transducer doesn't have a temperature sensor in it.
When the VX2 was introduced the sounder module was a BBFF1 or ETR/6 which used different plugs on the network cable. My first thought would be to look at the network cable(s) as the straight and cross over cables look exactly the same. Second thought is to rerun the VX2's Installation Wizard.

Snips

Hi Snips. Thanks for your reply.

To test the network, i followed the steps from a earlier post that suggested that if you go to the IO test page, network sounder test and the page bounces back to the previous page the display unit is not receiving data from the network sounder. In my case the page does load and shows the sounder program version. If i remove the cable the page freezes, and then if i try to go back to the test with the cable unplugged the page does not load and i am bounced back to the previous page. This to me suggests the display unit is receiving messages from the network sounder?

Do you know how to run the install wizard? I cant seem to find is in the setup pages and ive googled how to find it and cant seem to locate any instructions on how to re-run the wizard

Thanks

Pete

Peachypete82,
All the manuals are available on this web site. Just enter the model number of the VX2 that you are using in the search area, then go to the manual/docs section. There you will find the installation manual which will describe the Installation Wizard.

Are you trying to run this out of the water?

Snips

Hi Snips

Yep ive downloaded it, but it doesnt have any reference to how to initiate the installation wizard once its been setup. Ive had a really thorough look through it but i cant find any reference on how to initiate the wizard.

No the test is with the boat in the water. The transducer is in a fibreglass box and the tranny is sumberged in oil.

Pete

Hi Snips

I managed to find it on google, for reference and in case others stumble across this thread its hold down menu when powering up.

So i ran the setup, set the sounder at ETR (no option for DFF1) and its the same.

Sounder test page does work and can query the DFF1 program, but doesnt read depth from the sounder.

Any other ideas? Do you think my RDP-149 program is too old and isnt reading the data correctly from the DFF1?

Pete

Peachypete82,
To be honest, putting that transducer in a oil filled box wasn't a good idea. That transducer was never designed to be 1. put in a box and 2. surrounded by oil. I am not a fan of in hull transducers because of their performance lost. That being said default all the sounder settings and post a screen shot of what it look like at the dock.

Snips

Hi Snips

That doesnt suprise me, the previous owner seems to have "patched" things together. Below is a pic

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Frgq5WgteuKxbbS98

The whole setup is really overkill for my needs. I just need basic depth finder as I'm not a Fisherman.

Does the pic shed any light? I just called the previous owner and he said the system was pretty accurate when it was paired to the etr and Mb1000.

Does it seem the rdp-149 can't understand the data from the dff1?

Pete

Peachypete82,
Please post a screen shot of the sounder showing both frequencies at a 50% gain setting.

Snips

Peachypete82,
Thank you for your screen shot. However your screen shot shows you are a split screen mode not LF/HF. Please show me both frequencies and both pages of your settings.

Snips

Hey Snips

Sorry for the lack of info, these units are new to me and ive only had a basic sounder in the past.

Below is a video which hopefully has what you need
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Te1L8vsswjYhofKt8

Note that the boat is sitting in around 2m of water which correlates to the yellow line on the sounder, but it doesnt seem to calculate depth for the depth box

Pete

Peachypete82,
The reason you are seeing a yellow line is because you have the temperature graph turned on. The temp range appears on the left side and the yellow line is the current temperature.
Please take screen shot of your settings for me, there are two pages of them.

Snips

Im sorry Snips, but i dont know what settings your referring to. I went through every page i knew in the video, was there something i missed?

Is it also odd, that my transducer doesnt have a temp sensor, but were getting a temp reading?

Please confirm what you want me to send you.

Pete

Peachypete82,
See below. Also there is a gain button on the front panel so make sure that your gain is turned up to at least 50% for your screen shots. Also the DFF1 does have the capability of temperature but your in-hull temperature doesn't have a sensor.

Snips

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,020
Hi Snips. You can see by the video i provided, there is no "NEXT PAGE" on my settings on sounder system setup. I only have 1 page of settings.

Possible i have old program? Earlier in my post i state i have 195002401.05.
If i have no temp sensor in my tranny, why do we get a temp value on the RDP149?

Peachypete82,
Your video is the same as your previous one, you are just pressing the LF/HF button, not the MENU. I don't mind trying to continue to help but it might be time to contact your local Furuno dealer for further assistance.

Snips

Peachypete82,
Your video is the same as your previous one, you are just pressing the LF/HF button, not the MENU. I don't mind trying to continue to help but it might be time to contact your local Furuno dealer for further assistance.

Snips

Hi Snips. You are right, i told you i was reposting the same video as in that video is clearly shows me going into the menu and going to sounder options, where there is a clear absence of the "second page" on sounder settings that you want me to press. Did you watch the whole video?

To help the situation, i have taken a screen cap of the section in the video which shows you this page, and the absense of the second page your wanting me to press and report back. Here is the pic from the video

https://kontekservices-my.sharepoint.co ... w?e=4RKKXZ

Im trying to help Snips, but i dont think your paying attention to the information i am providing.

Pete

Back