Connecting GP32 to RDP-149 data 1

Ericson38

Hello,

My GP 310B died (internal battery maybe) and won't provide GPS data (Data 1 cable) to the RDP-149 in my 1834C radar.

I have an unused but working GP32 with installation pigtail cable. The GP 32 draws 240mA at 12V.

I would like to use the Data 1 cable extender that runs out to the stern pulpit, cut the end off, and connect the GP32 to it. For the input to the RDP-149 Data 1 bundle, I would use the yellow (+) and green (-) leads.

For the pigtail out of the GP-32 receiver for nmea sentences, would I use the yellow-green also, or the white-blue leads ?

Could I power up the GP-32 via the red-black leads in the Data 1 cable from the RDP-149 also, or is that asking for trouble ? From what A can tell, the GP-310 only draws 40-70 mA.

thanks

Good questions and well stated.

You can not power the GP32 from the data one port; it will just burn out the data 1 port power. You will need to power the GP32 as it always has been.

You can run GPS from White (+) Blue (-) of the GP32 to give GPS to data 1. The color code of the input depends on the cable you are using to bring in the position. If you decide to cut off the old GP310 cable then you would want to connect it up like this:

GP32 ------to ----- RDP149 Data1 with old GP310 cable cut to be pigtail

White + -- to -- White +
Blue - -- to -- Blue -

There are a few setup settings to change in the RDP149 to have the GPS process. I would recommend a quick call to support and they will walk you through that quickly. Basically you turn the Furuno Sensor to NO (yes it is a Furuno GPS but it isn't a Furuno Smart Sensor) and setup the GP Position source to ALL.

The quick reference for the processes that Johnny mentioned above are in the following menus sequences:

Sensor port needs to be set to NO (older used proprietary language)
SYSTEM CONFIG > SYSTEM SETUP > PORT SETUP > GPS/NMEA PORT
> FURUNO GPS SENSOR = N

Set Position Source
SYSTEM CONFIG > NAV OPTION > NAV SOURCE SETTINGS > POSTION SOURCE: Set it to ALL

I hope that helps!

:wink7

Back