Connecting AIS receiver to 10.4 inch Navnet VX2

jcrellin

Hi folks

I have an existing Navnet VX2 system on Lily D with an 1824C radar/ 10.4 inch VX2 RDP 149
Currently I have Navpilot 520 connected to Data 2, PG 500 to Data 3, GP32 GPS to Data 4.
I would like to connect an AIS receiver NMEA 0183 output to Data 1, will this work?
Do I have to configure Data 1 differently for this use or just connect the AIS to the RDI and RD2 connections?

Thanks
Jim

If you are going to wire in 0183 AIS data, the Vx2 must have newer software and the data MUST go into data 2 on a 10.4". That is the only port designed to accept it and can be changed to the required 38,400 baud rate. It doesn't have to be on the master unit. You can wire it into another 10.4" on your network or even data port 1 of the 7" Vx2.

Thanks Johnny, after going through a lot of forum information I suspected that Data Port 2 was the only possibility for the AIS and it is already used for the NavPilot which I think has to use Port 2 as well?

We do have a networked 10.4 inch display on the flybridge with none of the Data ports used and it is only about 10 ft of wire from where the AIS receiver is, so I can connect the AIS into Data Port 2 on that unit. I assume the AIS data will show up on both displays?

I will check the software version on both units but pretty sure I upgraded them a while back.

Thanks
Jim

after going through a lot of forum information I suspected that Data Port 2 was the only possibility for the AIS and it is already used for the NavPilot which I think has to use Port 2 as well?
No the autopilot could be wire up to port 1 if you have it available. Data4 on a 10.4" could also run a pilot but that is at RS232 signal levels. For example the Navpilot 500 has a NMEA 232 port that you could connect to data four to clear up data 2 for your AIS data. Things would have to be moved around depending on the install.

We do have a networked 10.4 inch display on the flybridge with none of the Data ports used and it is only about 10 ft of wire from where the AIS receiver is, so I can connect the AIS into Data Port 2 on that unit. I assume the AIS data will show up on both displays?
Yes, as long as both units are on, AIS would flow from the secondary MFD onto the network and both would see the AIS data.

Data 1 on the main cabin MFD is available, GPS from GP32 is on Data 4. Is it simply a matter of getting the correct 7 pin cable to go from the auto-pilot to Data 1? Would you have a current part number for the cable?

It would be preferable to have AIS into the main cabin MFD as we often don't have the flybridge unit operating when underway.

Thanks for the help, it is invaluable.

Jim

There is not a 6 pin to 7 pin adapter because it is normally custom wiring depending on the need at the time. The 7 pin NMEA cable is part number 000-154-028. If it was I; I would put the AIS on the main unit so you don't have to turn the other On.

Thanks Johnny, I will plan to wire it in the to main helm MFD as you suggest.

It is a bit of a bear to re-run the cable from the navpilot, so I will cut the existing cable with the 6 pin on it and break it out to a terminal strip and then connect the 7 pin cable.

Thanks again for your help.

Jim :furuno

Back