Bottom discrimination with tzt3

cameron

I am running a pair of tzt3 12” units, dff3d and the pm488 pocket mount transducer. In settings, bottom discrimination is not allowing me to turn on… am I needing something else or change settings? I have done the recent update on software

cameron":39kj96vn said:
am I needing something else

If you're talking about the combination 165T/265LH-PM488-12P, than the 165T end and motion sensor cables will go to the DFF3D, but you'll also need to hook up the 265LH end to another sounder like a DFF1-UHD or if you have that 12p version you can hook it up to the TZ3. It's a combo transducer, so for convenience it's in one big package but needs to be installed like two transducers.

See: https://furunousa.com/-/media/sites/fur ... 3d_faq.pdf

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

I am looking at the order when purchased, there is a 12 pin pgt the installer used if this helps clarify anything.

Those are the images

Attachments

• 8A2C3969-EF2A-4026-8B92-331BD4B24070.jpeg
    8A2C3969-EF2A-4026-8B92-331BD4B24070.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 585
  • 12211AFE-66D1-43E9-98C1-E3DB8157F7C8.jpeg
    12211AFE-66D1-43E9-98C1-E3DB8157F7C8.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 585
cameron":36yukvti said:
I am looking at the order when purchased, there is a 12 pin pgt the installer used if this helps clarify anything.

A couple of things first,

Be mindful not to secure zip-ties so tight that they restrict the bend radius of cables, or restrict the cables too tightly. :noway They need some movement.

In addition, you should rename your TZT units to something unique (Port TZT and STBD TZT) to distinguish the two units when viewing them from the system menus (You can name them via Home > Settings > Initial Setup > Sensor List.) :D

Next, I might examine the two units. Which unit does the "TZT3-12P" transducer cable go too? The port or starboard one? :sorry Whichever one it goes too should be selected as your Fish Finder source (e.g., select PortTZT for FF source, once you have rename them).

Stay tuned, others may also have some ideas as well.

EDIT: See below, BDS isn't supported in a TZ3 with the B265 style elements yet, but the DFF1-UHD can.

- Maggy

Renamed, confirmed, the port screen is the master screen and the ducer is plugged into that one.

Attachments

• C60059F3-550C-4A9C-85CC-F97182D49A77.jpeg
    C60059F3-550C-4A9C-85CC-F97182D49A77.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 573
cameron":18op3eol said:
Renamed, confirmed, the port screen is the master screen and the ducer is plugged into that one.

Awesome!

Next check on the Fish Finder layers menu (i.e., swipe up), and set [Bottom Discrimination] to [ON]. Does it work now? When trying this for real, note speed should be about <10 kts in depths around 5m and 100m (16' ~320').

Ref.: (Note 7.3.5 Bottom Discrimination Display on P.7-6): https://furunousa.com/-/media/sites/fur ... manual.pdf

Hope this get's you closer, :sail

- Maggy

I was under the impression that the TM265LH elements were only bottom discrimination compatible with the DFF1-UHD, not yet with the TZT3 internal sounders. A later update is supposed to add bottom discrimination capability to the internal sounders.

source: Page 9 , Overview of changes made to TZ Touch 3 with V2 software .PDF

mattology":32w46ei7 said:
I was under the impression that the TM265LH elements were only bottom discrimination compatible with the DFF1-UHD, not yet with the TZT3 internal sounders. A later update is supposed to add bottom discrimination capability to the internal sounders.

source: Page 9 , Overview of changes made to TZ Touch 3 with V2 software .PDF

Looking into it closer, Mattology is correct, I stand corrected. :respect :) I couldn't find the 265 listed for BDS in the TZ3, only the standard B774Vs and P66 type transducers can do BDS. So perhaps this could be a supported feature in a future software update. It's looking like for BDS right now a DFF1-UHD is needed in your network and you'll put the 265 plug into it to get BDS supported with that combo 'ducer.

Much Appreciated, every sounder is unique :sail

- Maggy

The transducer can't do anything without a sounder. What can be accomplished depends on the two units selected and used. Just like a set of race car tires that says it can go 150 miles per hour would still depend on the car they are used on. Currently the TZT3 has no Chirp transducer that offers BD. This will most likely change as the TZT3 software develops further but that is how it is now. All suitable transducers for BD with TZT3 internal sounder are select 50/200 transducers.

While the CHIRP elements in the PM488 are the same as the B275LH, officially only the B265LH provides BD on the DFF1-UHD, yet they found if you leave off the TID and setup the selection to B265LH, the B275LH can normally do BD quite well with that sounder.

Magnetron is quite correct that you can not get BD with the internal sounder and that PM488 transducer.

So the solution is to add the uhd ducer to this set up? Run the ducer wire to the uhd, leave off the orange wire, then from uhd to the mfd?

If you wanted BD, the solution would be to run the DFF1-UHD as your CHRIP fish finder instead of the internal TZT3 fish finder; using the existing CHIRP transducer wires of the PM488

The B260/TM260 / 526TID-HDD 50/200 transducer is also bottom discrimination compatible with the TZT3 internal sounder as well.

My thoughts are that the TZT internal sounder will eventually be able to perform bottom discrimination when firing the 265LH. Maybe just not on this latest software release.

They were prioritizing PBG for the 2.01 software, and although the internal sounder did get some more features making it similar to the DFF1-UHD, there are still some more to come.

That was going to be my hope I guess. If it is a software related program that can make the internal tzt3 sounder function so that the 265LH sounder can do the BDS, I guess its no harm in waiting.

How much more detail / how much better is the UHD 1 sounder over the internal 1KW chirp that comes with the tzt3?

cameron":12kixu86 said:
How much more detail / how much better is the UHD 1 sounder over the internal 1KW chirp that comes with the tzt3?

As our resident acoustics expert would say, "I think you were hoping for a simple answer to a difficult question." :wink7

See this thread for more info, but tl;dr Side by side our acoustics' expert thought it would be hard to tell the two apart. In the comparison testing they did: the Gain, TVG and Clutter curves are slightly different but at the end of the day they are pretty darn close.

- Maggy

Back